Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-18-2009, 03:47 PM   #1

Share |

what type of flat roof in coast home?

Hi Guys!

Still have been working on this old house for the last 5 years near the ocean. I need a new roof. Presently is some kind of silver foam that has harden and become brittle... and i am gaulking it every week ( the small cracks).

Most of these old flat style roof homes have the old pea gravel on tar.

I have contacted one contractor...that uses a membrane product that comes in rolls and is self adhesive. Have met with him...He explain he will strip the old stuff off and put two layers on going up the wall upcline 2 feet approx and over the four inches and re-reflash the edges. The product used is ...FLINTLASTIC SA CAP AND SA CAP FR.

He will have a sheet metal guy custom make new sky light window to replace the old ones that look rusted. Seems like a good company.

I guess the question is ...Is the old tar and pea gravel just as good...as or are there other alternative style of roofing material for a flat roof. I am familiar with pitch roofs...but any input on flat roof would be appreciated....Thanks in advance....Starrider

ps...no snow here...mostly a good rain in winter season and sea coast winds

Last edited by starrider; 03-03-2009 at 03:46 PM.
starrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 12:04 AM   #2

There are many good flat roofing systems out there.Epdm,mod-bit,TPO,PVC and yes even foam.It is not so much the system as the installer."A Roof is only as good as it is Applied"

johnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 05:07 AM   #3

Thanks John...you are correct...I am always concern about the people and quality of service they provide.

Those other roof types (you referred) i am not familiar with...i just looking for a good roof system that is bullet proof and will last a long time. Looking at the samples this contractor left...looks like it's made of some kind of rubber ...and the question of fire comes to mind...On a pitch roof...most common use are fiberglass composition shakes...which is more fire resistant...those kinds of questions come to mind.

And as you implied...the quality or craftmanship of the work is very important.

Thanks Starrider...
Old 02-19-2009, 09:05 AM   #4
Doing This Way Too Long

The reason there are so many tar and gravel roofs around is because they are such a durable system. Cost is the only reason there aren't more done today. Membrane roofs are considerably cheaper but you get what you pay for, ten years vs 30 years.

Properly applied in proper weather, the SA he is refering you to is a very good system. Ask him if he is selling you the full 3-ply for it. Although I'm a diehard hot roofer, We have used flintlastic SA on many smaller jobs and have been very happy with the results. It is cleaner and considerably easier to install than a built up. I always insist on the full 3-ply system when I use it though. You should expect about half the life out of it vs tar and gravel but still better than a membrane and more durable.

Sounds like you trust he knows what he's doing. That is the biggest thing, especially in flat roofs. Like JohnK says, a roof is only as good as the person installing it.

Best of luck
OldNBroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:00 AM   #5
Commercial Roofing

A foam roof should last indefinitely. Why are you having it removed? That is some EXCELLENT insulation. If you can provide pictures, I bet that you could perform minor maintenance, clean and coat that roof and get another 50 or 60 years out of it.

Save the money you will spend on tear off, re-insulating, and re-roofing if you can, and maintian that indefinitely-lifecycled roofing system. Polyurea is an excellent choice for long term foam preservation. Depending on the slope, I might even recommend an elastomeric acrylic coating, if conditions are suited.
Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 05:21 PM   #6

OldNBrorken...THANKS!...i didn't know the old tar pea gravel...was still good...perhaps i will look for a few more contractors that do that style.

The present contractor said two layers of membrane was sufficient...and a elbow third strip that covers where the roof meets the wall to make it three layers there...as he pointed out that is where most leaks occur. However if i go this way ...i told him i wanted three layers all around...lol.

AronB...THANKS! ... I'm not real techy...and stopped taking pics when they when from celluloid film to digital...

Looking at the roof as it is now...it looks like the previous owners just did a quick silver paint job on the roof. I don't know what it is ...right now it is caking up and cracking. In one spot i can see that they put a small mebrane patch and painted that silver too.

Like what was said in the beginning finding someone to do the job correct is priority...whether it be membrane...or tar and pea gravel.

The present contractor said he would replace the skylight frame windows...He has a metal guy that does this...what gauge steel should i insist on have this done?...Don't what to get anything that is paper thin...lol.

Thanks again guys any other advice welcomed...Starrider

Last edited by starrider; 02-19-2009 at 05:29 PM.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:34 PM   #7
Doing This Way Too Long

Standard gauge for commercial sheet metal is 24ga with some requiring 22ga. In case you don't know, the higher the gauge the thinner the metal.

Flintlastic SA system has three layers. A nailable base, a mid-ply and a cap sheet. Yes, you can just use the base and cap for a decent system but, like I said before, I always recommend using the full 3-ply system.
OldNBroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:48 PM   #8

THANKS OLDNBROKEN...