Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-14-2012, 07:53 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 632

what is this thing on my roof?

house built in 1983. I figure it's some sort of vent.

what is this thing on my roof?-dscn0518.jpg

Startingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:01 AM   #2
Learning Things Every Day

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startingover View Post
I figure it's some sort of vent.
You figure right.

gregzoll (05-14-2012), Startingover (05-14-2012)
Old 05-14-2012, 08:04 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

You are correct weedhopper.
packer_rich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to packer_rich For This Useful Post:
Startingover (05-14-2012)
Old 05-14-2012, 08:05 AM   #4

thanks, but I've never seen this kind before and there's a bathroom in that area, so I wondered why it was different than the other vents?

I couldn't get both photos on the same pg. But my following post has the other vents and theres another bath, kitchen and garage sink under these other vents, but none of them are round like the first photo.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:14 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

If you can see it from the attic, it is an attic ventilator. If it also has electricity, it is a powered attic ventilator. It could also be a kitchen stove vent, a water heater vent, or other... If you cannot see from the attic, what rooms is the vent over ?? Is the question from curiosity or is something going on with the "object" ???
kenatofc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:20 AM   #6

aha. An attic vent would be nice. It's my new house and I need to know what's what. I haven't been in the attic yet. I will eventually but it's a bit scarey to go up there, dark and all.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:27 AM   #7

hmmmm !!! perhaps on your next trip to your local food store (guessing where you might shop for tools) why not add a flash light to your tool box... Sort of helps remove the dark but not the scary parts of an attic !! Good luck and happy hunting....
The Following User Says Thank You to kenatofc For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (05-14-2012)
Old 05-14-2012, 10:40 AM   #8

hey, I have some real tools..........at least the basics
Old 05-14-2012, 11:45 AM   #9
RFN-4A-LVN

That would be a power vent.
Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:17 PM   #10

roofmaster, thank you. Does this come on and off automatically or is there usually a seperate switch? I haven't even figured out all the switches in the house, yet.

When I lived in Fla. 10 yrs ago I had an 'attic fan' and I was told to run it after a vacation to help cool off the house quicker.

I'm printing out all information I learn and making a binder for the house for everything.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:48 PM   #11
RFN-4A-LVN

Depends,,,some have thermostats,,when its set to a certain temp and that temp is exceeded then usually it will kick on.And some have a switch plate or both.

Most are in the hallway near your heating and cooling controls.I have even seen some that have the control about 12" from the unit.

I would be very surprised if yours even works.Those types/models during that time period had pretty short life spans.

But it is pretty simple to install a new one as long as the wiring is adequate for the new unit.I am not sure if its very Diy friendly.I never recommend a first timer to disconnect a power unit and rewire them.

I have an electrician do mine.Electricity scares me.

Last edited by Roofmaster417; 05-14-2012 at 12:51 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:56 PM   #12

roofmaster, the home inspector said I'd need a new roof in a few years as it's starting to bubble a little.

Will a roofer install a new fan or at least, make sure it's secure and waterproof around the shingles, then do I get an electrician? I don't do wiring either. Been shocked too many times.

Is this something urgent to take care ofnow or can it wait a few years (or whenever) till I have a new roof put on?
Old 05-14-2012, 06:57 PM   #13
RFN-4A-LVN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startingover View Post
roofmaster, the home inspector said I'd need a new roof in a few years as it's starting to bubble a little.

Will a roofer install a new fan or at least, make sure it's secure and waterproof around the shingles, then do I get an electrician? I don't do wiring either. Been shocked too many times.

Is this something urgent to take care ofnow or can it wait a few years (or whenever) till I have a new roof put on?

I have always thought of having everything functioning on the roof that was installed on the roof was a great idea.

Can it wait,,,yes.

Some roofers can install the power vent and wire it too.I choose not to because of well,,,the possibility of self electrocution.

I would have the roofer install the vent and if he is competent for the task have him wire it too.I am a roofing,siding and gutter contractor.I can do all 3 with ease.I am no electrician and have no desire to be.

That is why I have a certified electrician perform these installations.

Last edited by Roofmaster417; 05-14-2012 at 07:00 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:04 PM   #14
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,204

I had one added last October, due to the attic would get up to 130 on a Summer day. Mine kicks on at around 95 degrees, then kicks off when it gets down to below 90. You really need to get to know your home. That means crawling up in the attic to take a look, but at this time of year, take water, run a fan up there if it is hot, so that you have some air flow, and get a buddy to stand by below. Not only to hold the ladder, but also in case you pass out up there, because even at 82 degrees, 21% relative humidity, you can pass out up there.

If you have soffit vents and ridge venting, you really do not need the power vent on your roof. As for the "bubbling", it is always good to get the opinion of a reputable roofing company that can take a look and give you an idea how much lee-way you have on time left on your roofing.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:41 PM   #15

BTW, you may want to post another photo of your roof so that we can look at more shingles.... because, and in my opinion, the condition of the roof on this photo does not appear to be "cupping" or "curling". It looks like a fairly standard 3 n 1 fiberglass shingle and in relatively good condition with at least 5 years left. Might not want to bet but if the rest of the roof looks the same, I would venture that someone is just trying to sell you a new one !!!
Owning a house is a work in progress.
Good luck !!
Ken in WV