Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-14-2011, 06:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

What shingles should I choose

I have been reading all of your comments regarding the different brand of shingles - GAF vs Certanteed, etc and now I am more confused than ever. I do not ever want to be placed in a situation where I have to go back and forth with a company trying to get any issues resolved. Could some of you at least agree on the quality of ONE shingle and company so I can go forward on a selection?

Also, when the roof is being installed, what should I be looking for to make sure that the installation is done properly. Should felt be used or titanium roof underlayment (a roof installers suggestion) timbertrek ridge gap and Timberline HD series? (Obviously a GAF installer suggestions)

And if Certanteed is a better choice - what underlayment, ridge cap and series would be the better quality to use. I would prefer answers from unbiased roof installers if possible. Remember I am looking for a quality product and quality company.

chopfner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:26 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopfner View Post
I have been reading all of your comments regarding the different brand of shingles - GAF vs Certanteed, etc and now I am more confused than ever. I do not ever want to be placed in a situation where I have to go back and forth with a company trying to get any issues resolved. Could some of you at least agree on the quality of ONE shingle and company so I can go forward on a selection?

Also, when the roof is being installed, what should I be looking for to make sure that the installation is done properly. Should felt be used or titanium roof underlayment (a roof installers suggestion) timbertrek ridge gap and Timberline HD series? (Obviously a GAF installer suggestions)

And if Certanteed is a better choice - what underlayment, ridge cap and series would be the better quality to use. I would prefer answers from unbiased roof installers if possible. Remember I am looking for a quality product and quality company.
The reasons you hear so many different opinions on what is better is because of preferences. Personally, I prefer CertainTeed. I install many different brands and CertainTeed is currently making the best shingle on the market.

When I install a CertainTeed roof, I use roofers select and winterguard for underlayment, shinglevent II for ridge vent and shadow ridge for the ridge cap.

You need to hire who YOU feel the most comfortable with no matter what product they are trying to convince you to use.

ParagonEx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ParagonEx For This Useful Post:
chopfner (09-14-2011)
Old 09-14-2011, 06:48 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Would I need winterguard underlayment in Georgia? Also, what should I be looking for to determine if the roof is be installed properly. Wwhat is the warranty on that shingle and should I be looking for an installer that is "certified" ?? by Certerteed?
chopfner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:01 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopfner
Would I need winterguard underlayment in Georgia? Also, what should I be looking for to determine if the roof is be installed properly. Wwhat is the warranty on that shingle and should I be looking for an installer that is "certified" ?? by Certerteed?
No you don't need it in Georgia (at least I believe it isn't code).

It is hard to determine from the ground if a roof is being installed properly. One thing you want to make sure of is proper ventilation. Without that, your warranty is invalid. Shingles need to be nailed properly.

A certified roofer will allow you to have a better warranty. As a Select Shinglemaster, we are able to offer warranties of 50 years non prorated coverage, also covering materials&labor , disposal and tear off costs. Also 25 years of workmanship backed by certainteed.

www.paragonexteriors.com
ParagonEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 07:23 AM   #5
Residential Roofer

Rewards Points: 500

I'm not certified with any manufacturer even after over 30 years of working in the trades.
(A certified contractor doe's not guarantee you a quality job.)

I install GAF, Tamko, Certainteed, Owens Corning, IKO and Atlas shingles annually.
I go through the process of helping the home owner pick the brand that best fits the look they are going for and their budget and then I install them according to manufacturer specs.

All manufacturers have had "will have again" material issues due to human or machinery errors.

Ask a lot of questions, check references, ask for proof of insurances,
pay only a percentage of the estimated cost up front and make the final payment payable upon completion and walk all around your home looking at the roof the best you can before making the final payment.
When looking at the roof look for uniformity of material placement, ridge lines laying flat 'smooth', metal flashing's tight against walls, sky lights, etc.

Once you pick your contractor, get his/her personal name, not just the company/contractor name and as much personal information as possible.
Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 08:14 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 83

I myself prefer Certainteed products over GAF.

Felt underlay is sufficient, synthetic underlays are obviously a worthy upgrade if you can afford it.
IMO, Timbertex are garbage ridge cap. They are a 3 layer cap, and there are 3 caps per shingle, which are perforated so you have to bend them to break them apart, which usually makes the 3 layers separate.
If you like the high profile ridge caps, look into Certainteed MountainRidge.

Certainteed Landmark (Regular $, Plus $$ or Premium $$$)
Certainteed SwiftStart
Certainteed ShadowRidge (low profile) MountainRidge (high profile) cap
ASTM compliant felt paper, or synthetic underlay.

bcdemon is offline   Reply With Quote