DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Roofing/Siding (http://www.diychatroom.com/f9/)
-   -   what is a really good or even the best drill to put lag bolts through roofs (http://www.diychatroom.com/f9/what-really-good-even-best-drill-put-lag-bolts-through-roofs-110075/)

rookanga 07-08-2011 03:19 PM

what is a really good or even the best drill to put lag bolts through roofs
 
I just got a new job (installing satellites) and one part of my job is putting lag bolts ( I think 3/8 in thick) in the roof, my old drill died on me, so I need to get a new one, but I dont want to spend my money on a junk one, could anyone recommend a drill for me, I would prefer an 18 volt one please

vsheetz 07-08-2011 06:47 PM

Welcome!

Are you really going to be doing many roof penetrations to install satellite dishes? Usually something to avoid unless absolutly nessisary due to the liability of creating water leaks. More usuall to mount under a eave, to a wall, patio railing, etc.

As for a drill, any of the quality brand names should provide good service - I am partial to my Bosch drill (lightweight or higher capacity battery options).

The drill topic has probably been discussed before in depth - suggest to do a search on the tools section of this forum.

stock2mal 07-08-2011 07:04 PM

I would try to avoid putting any type of lags/screws in the roof, but as far as drill recommendations, I would suggest Ridgid simply for the lifetime warranty on everything, including batteries.

Grumpy 07-09-2011 08:57 AM

Cab you send me a list of all the houses you service so I can send them my information and follow behind you fixing all the leaks you cause.

As a roofing contractor I must say I repair at least a dozen leaky satellite dishes a year. Around this area the installers go right for the roof.

kiddthunder 07-09-2011 05:33 PM

I install solar pv systems on alot of roofs and I use the dewalt 18 volt impact driver and works great. you can get the dewalt drill and impact gun in a kit together. I would advise that you use a uv based silicone down in the penetrations before you lag them in and over the top of lag when your done and to maybe seal around the base of the satelite. I would recommend Vulkem 116 or clear solar seal silicone. pitch pockets are idea for a flat roof installation and will insure no leaks. and additionally you should use stainless steel lag bolts to avoid rust and corrosion. Roofers will always give you a hard time about screwing through there roof but these steps will assure a good seal.

whitco 10-27-2011 03:46 PM

For large heavy duty roofing jobs that require driving lags you will need an impact driver. Many brands will get the job done. As far as which drill is the best, that all depends on personal opinion.


handy man88 10-27-2011 09:13 PM

Keep in mind that you are driving 3/8 lag bolts that aren't that long. The roof sheathing itself or even the trusses (2x4's) aren't that thick.

For sure, you don't want to bring two power tools up there, a drill and an impact driver.

I would recommend just an 12V drill (or hammer drill) that comes with a Lithium Ion battery. Using that drill, you can attach drill bits to predrill the hole, and then put in a driver bit to install the lag bolt.

I have a heavy duty Milwaukee 18V hammer drill, but it's a bit heavy. Working on a ladder/roof, look for something light.

Consider something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-2411...9767941&sr=8-1

Roofmaster417 10-28-2011 12:24 AM

I always inform every customer to not allow these dishes to be installed in that manor.

Try passing the word along that mounts are available that are installed under the shingles rather than thru them.

As far as power tools,,I prefer Dewalt and Makita,,,but that is just me..

MJW 10-28-2011 07:42 AM

Why would you have to pre-drill for lags?

I agree with using the mounts, although I haven't seen any of the dishes leak if they are installed tight to the roof. Usually the problem is that the dish installer slaps a bunch of tar on top of the lags. It just creates more problems.

I have two dishes on my roof and an antenna. 4/12 pitch and they have been up there for 10 years. No sealant on any of the lags. Not a drip in the attic.

Slyfox 10-28-2011 10:14 AM

Fastening the dish to the roof is one of those situations in which it's an acceptable with a high percentage of bad installs 'workmanship'.

The number one problem I have found (I have done numerous repairs like Grumpy) is the installer over driving and leaving stripped/nearly stripped out bolts that eventually back out and allow moisture in.

As far as the drill, a good hammer drill of what ever brand name you like best.

handy man88 10-28-2011 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJW (Post 758567)
Why would you have to pre-drill for lags?

I agree with using the mounts, although I haven't seen any of the dishes leak if they are installed tight to the roof. Usually the problem is that the dish installer slaps a bunch of tar on top of the lags. It just creates more problems.

I have two dishes on my roof and an antenna. 4/12 pitch and they have been up there for 10 years. No sealant on any of the lags. Not a drip in the attic.

You don't have to, but it allows the lag to go in easier, and that counts a lot when you're on a ladder or roof.

handy man88 10-28-2011 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slyfox (Post 758625)
Fastening the dish to the roof is one of those situations in which it's an acceptable with a high percentage of bad installs 'workmanship'.

The number one problem I have found (I have done numerous repairs like Grumpy) is the installer over driving and leaving stripped/nearly stripped out bolts that eventually back out and allow moisture in.

As far as the drill, a good hammer drill of what ever brand name you like best.

How can bolts be stripped when you are driving into wood?

If you're driving into wood, worse case is you eat into the wood and lose grip.

MJW 10-28-2011 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by handy man88 (Post 758860)
How can bolts be stripped when you are driving into wood?

If you're driving into wood, worse case is you eat into the wood and lose grip.

Probably because dish installers are all sub contractors and they probably pre-drilled them. :laughing:

Most are lucky if they hit a rafter on one lag. Most of the other 5 lags are just in 1/2" sheathing.

handy man88 10-28-2011 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJW (Post 758885)
Probably because dish installers are all sub contractors and they probably pre-drilled them. :laughing:

Most are lucky if they hit a rafter on one lag. Most of the other 5 lags are just in 1/2" sheathing.

Sorry, but you are wrong.

You're not going to strip threads whether you go through rafters or wood sheathing....especially not 1/2" sheathing.

MJW 10-28-2011 05:58 PM

I'll let Sly speak for himself, but being I have actually done this before, I know exactly what he is talking about. It's the sheathing that gets wrecked during the installation, not the lag itself.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:34 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved