What Material To Use? - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-17-2012, 06:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

what material to use?

Hello, I need to replace to roofing material on the area above my front porch. This is a flat area about 50sqft. It is a cosmetic only area, the roof does not protect any interior areas. What type of material will I need to do this and do I need to tear out the old stuff or can I go over the old? I attached some pics, thanks.

Name:  ForumRunner_20120517_182859.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  48.6 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20120517_182927.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  47.7 KB

Advertisement

frylock11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:02 PM   #2
RFN-4A-LVN

Rewards Points: 500

what material to use?

[quote=frylock11;923591] do I need to tear out the old stuff or can I go over the old?

Tear it off,,,,you cannot cover that mess.I would pull the rails and install some Epdm and call it a day.

Advertisement

Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:42 PM   #3

what material to use?

I'm going to replace the rails too so I'll do a full tear off. Does the epdm just glue down and do I need to seal the seams? I'm assuming it's just osb under there. Is that a good enough base material? Thanks
Old 05-17-2012, 10:10 PM   #4
RFN-4A-LVN

what material to use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by frylock11 View Post
I'm going to replace the rails too so I'll do a full tear off. Does the epdm just glue down and do I need to seal the seams? I'm assuming it's just osb under there. Is that a good enough base material? Thanks
I would recommend adhesive although some may not.My guess is that the decking is 1x12's.You can always replace any deteriorated decking then cover the existing with 7/16" O.S.B with no bigger than it is.

Is that wood siding ? You might need to remove a few strips to install the material behind it.I think a type of termination bar might affect the aesthetic look.

You should not have any seams on something that small.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roofmaster417 For This Useful Post:
frylock11 (05-18-2012)
Old 05-18-2012, 10:22 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 738

what material to use?

If you insist on keeping those railings there going to have to sit on curbs which would also get covered with the EPDM.
To get a leak free roof you really should concider hiring a pro real roofer on this one.

Just trying to screw those railings in place would void any warrenty if done wrong.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:30 PM   #6

what material to use?

It is vinyl siding and I'm pretty sure there is a channel at the back, if not I can remove it to get the new roof underneath. I guess the EPDM comes in an 8 ft roll? I'm gonna check it out at the big box stores and see what they got. I am definitely putting some new railings up. It wouldn't look as good without and this area only covers my front porch so I'm not too concerned about a warranty, thanks though.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:59 PM   #7
RFN-4A-LVN

what material to use?

You will need a roofing supplier.Lowes and HD don't carry the products.

There is a much simpler Diy friendly material.Epdm is costly if not installed correctly the first time.With this product no adhesives or expensive material.Epdm isn't real cheap.

With a single ply base and cap sheet self adhereing their is marginal room for error.I will give some links for the product I use on occasion and highly recommend to Diy'rs.

Just make sure you buy the Cap AND base sheet.Install the base sheet with Simplex Cap nails.Otherwise if you try to use staples or regular roofing nails in severe storms its bye bye material.

http://www.mulehide.com/product/samb.aspx
Old 05-18-2012, 01:12 PM   #8

what material to use?

Ok, looks like I'm going to go find my local roofing supply house, thanks for the info.

Advertisement