Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-04-2009, 11:03 AM   #1
Ohming

Share |

What length step flashing is correct?

I am flashing the side wall of a dormer addition. The roof is 12 / 12 pitch and has Elk Prestiqe 50+ yr asphalt shingles installed a few years ago.

The supply house that sold me the shingles a few years ago, sold me 4"x4"x14" step flashing for the side wall. I forgot to ask him install tips. I am lacing the flashing in every second row and leaving about 4" exposed, every row was too much -- it started jamming up.

Is this correct, it "feels " right.
Ohming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:37 PM   #2

http://www.finehomebuilding.com/how-...on-a-roof.aspx Heres a little help
johnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 02:29 PM   #3
Ohming

i since found this site, I think it shows the application. http://www.flash.org/resources/files/HGCC_Fact23.pdf
Old 08-04-2009, 05:07 PM   #4
Residential Roofer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohming View Post
i since found this site, I think it shows the application. http://www.flash.org/resources/files/HGCC_Fact23.pdf
LMAO, I reckon FEMA paid good money to have someone show that example of installing step flashing's to.
If one of my guys step flashed a wall and left pieces partially exposed accidentally or purposely I would make them tear it out and redo it.

It will not leak if you have some exposed spots like that, so long as you have proper over lap but it is a sure tell sign of a diy'er or jack of all trades installment and I can't stop laughing at how someone would push that off as a professional install.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 05:13 PM   #5
Ohming

Thanks slyfox. I have seen this "staggering" effect occasionaly and always wondered if it was for show , practicality, or ignorance.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:42 PM   #6

Possibly they were just trying to emphasize where the flashing is?
But probly not
I use shorter flashing but on every shingle for step flashing

I just had to install the step flashing betwen the addition & the existing roof. I still have the last 2 dozen pieces to install. About 32' of roof line all together - 2 levels
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 07:48 PM   #7

Step flashing needs to be installed on every row of roofing!
framer53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by framer53 View Post
Step flashing needs to be installed on every row of roofing!
And not exposed!!!
johnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnk View Post
And not exposed!!!
Old 08-05-2009, 09:53 AM   #10
Chicago, IL

"Close enough for government work."
Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 05:36 PM   #11
Ohming

Alright, maybe I'm anal, but after reading all of the great advice, the question (perhaps I didn't propose it correctly) really wasn't answered. 14" step flashing should be used when?

I was just at the distributor who probobly moves many hundred of loads a season, and they claim that the longer 14" can be used every other row with, especially in tying to a side wall with existing shingles like I am doing. Sounds plausable to me. I guess they would be used as well in a low pitch high moisture enviroment as well? The 7 or 8" would surely be every other row.

Just trying to understand the science, if it exists.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohming View Post
Alright, maybe I'm anal, but after reading all of the great advice, the question (perhaps I didn't propose it correctly) really wasn't answered. 14" step flashing should be used when?

I was just at the distributor who probobly moves many hundred of loads a season, and they claim that the longer 14" can be used every other row with, especially in tying to a side wall with existing shingles like I am doing. Sounds plausable to me. I guess they would be used as well in a low pitch high moisture enviroment as well? The 7 or 8" would surely be every other row.

Just trying to understand the science, if it exists.
Here is the deal. Step flashing is called step flashing because it goes up in steps. I have never seen the need or used 14" flashing.
I would be leary of useing it every other row of shingles. In fact if anyone told me that, I would laugh.
What are you saving by doing every other row? Nothing except a little cost!!!
Old 08-06-2009, 06:04 PM   #13
Ohming

I am trying to disturb as few shingles as possible. Also as I (gently as possible) try to seperate the layers, some of the shingles have ripped and with the shingles being "3 dimensional" looking, some of the smaller pieces dont survive. Maybe I should cut them in half. But the fact that someone has not seen 14" before helps. Cost is not a consideration.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:22 PM   #14
Residential Roofer

The metal holds up better against the water that gets in between the shingles when it is deflected off the wall, or when there's a damning issue along the wall 'ice or debris' that causes the water to run sideways.
Sometimes that water will get trapped and lay there until it evaporates and the metal protects the non exposed portion of the shingle during that process.

Standard 3-tabs and dimensional = 5"

Metric = 6"

Certain shingles such as Slate Line = 10"

Shakes, Tiles or Slates would be more likely for 14"

Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 06:46 PM   #15
Ohming

Excellent Slyfox!, thats what I was looking for. That info is worthy of a sticky thread for "numbers" nerdy people like me. Thanks