Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-28-2008, 10:51 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

What do you think of my roofing job?

My contractor is a nice guy, but I'm not sure what to think about the crew he hired to do my roof. Looks pretty sloppy to me. Shingles are IKO Cambridge and they used a Cobra exhaust ridge vent. Installed yesterday and finishing up today (temps are 30-40). Can I expect the shingles to eventually lay flat as they heat up, looks terrible now. The valleys look kinda sloppy too, and I noticed they re-used the old flashing around some of the dormers. Just seems like a hurried job. Hoping for some advice from someone with roofing experience. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
What do you think of my roofing job?-img_1427.jpg   What do you think of my roofing job?-img_1428.jpg   What do you think of my roofing job?-img_1431.jpg   What do you think of my roofing job?-img_1433.jpg   What do you think of my roofing job?-img_1434.jpg  

uncleslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 11:17 AM   #2

Yes , they will lay better once they warm up, stick togather, I would be concerned about the old flashing. sounds like they didn't want to take time to remove siding to flash with new, however new roofing should have new flashing as well. never know if old flashing was done correctly.

butlersprints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 12:02 PM   #3

Another thing that is bugging me is that the new shingles extend past the drip edge by 1 inch. The old shingles stopped about 1/2 inch before the edge of the drip edge. Which is correct?

Also, in my contract it says "woven valleys" but I don't think that what I'm getting. Guess I got bent over.

Last edited by uncleslam; 11-28-2008 at 12:34 PM.
Old 11-28-2008, 01:35 PM   #4
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Ya I agree with you on the valley. I hate when these roofers run a starter up the valley so they don't have to cut back the shingle to install one that runs past for trimming. another short cut I see which looks like shi? is when they fill in the gable end and tuck the shingle under the one that butts to it instead of cutting it. or when they over lay the shingle over the bottom of the plumbing flange or Attic power fan. they should lay flat but just hope the fish eyes don't seal before they have a chance to lay flat. Just my thoughts. BOB
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 01:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleslam View Post
Another thing that is bugging me is that the new shingles extend past the drip edge by 1 inch. The old shingles stopped about 1/2 inch before the edge of the drip edge. Which is correct?
1" That should better.

Also, in my contract it says "woven valleys" but I don't think that what I'm getting. Guess I got bent over.
How did it feel, that valley is not woven. sorry BOB.
Old 11-28-2008, 01:49 PM   #6

Quote:

the new shingles should hang over the drip approx 1/2", In time a normal 3in1 would probably start folding downward, since your shingles are dimensional (spelling) they should be ok. It appears as though they ran roll roofing down the valley so thats a plus. Did they use ice & water shield?(all eve edges & valleys) The valley is what is called a closed valley, hopefully the first layer is at least 1' under the edge that is cut. one possitive thing is that there cut looks pretty straight
Old 11-28-2008, 02:23 PM   #7

they will lay flat after they get heated up. don't know if it will happen before winter but they should. not the best. sometimes it is fine to leave the old flashing on like around a chimney w/ stone etc. don't know how they could've step flashed around the dormers though w/out replacing. have to alternate. the valleys are what they call a half weave. you have to have a few people or start in a couple of spots and run as far as you can then start the weave. i snap lines up both sides of the valley and do that first. then you don't have to keep cutting before you hit the valley. the part that matters the most is around the boots, the vents. that is a problem alot of times. technically on a half weave you should still blackjack all the way up the valley. looks like a rush job.usually contractor sells the job w/ his name and rep. then get some laborers to finish running them out. help snap lines. you have to want to do a good job.
chad4290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 06:00 PM   #8

It doesn't feel good. I have some concerns about the venting. They used one of the cheapest vent systems available, cobra brilopad (exhaust vent). Then they installed 2 of the 3 intake turtle vents up high on the roof instead of down low - I don't see what they were thinking there.
Old 11-28-2008, 06:05 PM   #9

Quote:
It doesn't feel good. I have some concerns about the venting. They used one of the cheapest vent systems available, cobra brilopad (exhaust vent). Then they installed 2 of the 3 intake turtle vents up high on the roof instead of down low - I don't see what they were thinking there.
I would have vented the soffit ,if it wasn't. jmo after further reveiw, there doesn't appear to be soffits.

Last edited by butlersprints; 11-28-2008 at 08:24 PM.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:52 PM   #10
registered

Rewards Points: 4

You need a hot sun to hit that roof. This will make the shingles lay flat. I think the roofer cut some corners and i don't like that. A good roofer doesn' cut corners. Its the little things done rite which makes a outstanding roofing job. Here it wasn't done.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 12:05 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by buletbob View Post
Ya I agree with you on the valley. I hate when these roofers run a starter up the valley so they don't have to cut back the shingle to install one that runs past for trimming. another short cut I see which looks like shi? is when they fill in the gable end and tuck the shingle under the one that butts to it instead of cutting it. or when they over lay the shingle over the bottom of the plumbing flange or Attic power fan. they should lay flat but just hope the fish eyes don't seal before they have a chance to lay flat. Just my thoughts. BOB
Hi Bob, I don't understand all these technical terms, do they apply to what you see in my pics?

I had the owner of the company stop by, and he was a very nice guy to talk with (as is the GC who works for him - but the crew they hired were not very easy to talk to). The owner said he would look into having fascia venting put on (I have NO overhang at all) when they do they do the hardi siding. BTW, this is a hail claim. The hardi siders will be a different crew. He also said that the valleys are california cut. It says "woven valleys" on my contract though. Is that something I should persue? Is it a big difference.

Also, should I ask to see the permit they are supposed to furnish (its in my contract that they furnish permit)?

Thanks for the advice.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:02 AM   #12
Doing This Way Too Long

Rewards Points: 22

Sorry, Your valleys are NOT california cut. They ran a bleeder up the valley which is lazy workmanship, prone to added problems, and just another layer in that valley to make an even bigger hump there. There's a reason it's called a CUT, and those roofers never put a knife to that valley. Hell, they couldn't even point the shingles to the bleeder neatly.
Some people think they are okay, but I never allow my crews to use bleeders in the valley like that.

BTW, was that a recover? Awful rough looking in general even for a winter job.
OldNBroken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 05:42 AM   #13

Quote:
Hi Bob, I don't understand all these technical terms, do they apply to what you see in my pics?

I had the owner of the company stop by, and he was a very nice guy to talk with (as is the GC who works for him - but the crew they hired were not very easy to talk to). The owner said he would look into having fascia venting put on (I have NO overhang at all) when they do they do the hardi siding. BTW, this is a hail claim. The hardi siders will be a different crew. He also said that the valleys are california cut. It says "woven valleys" on my contract though. Is that something I should persue? Is it a big difference.

Also, should I ask to see the permit they are supposed to furnish (its in my contract that they furnish permit)?

Thanks for the advice.
Your roof is not going to leak because of the valley. its just the lazy way out of doing it. you paid for a weaved valley and did not get it. the weave would of been a lot better.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:53 PM   #14

This was not a recover, although it sorta looks like one. Hard to tell if a good hot day will flatten the shingles - next one is in 6 months.

So what type of valley did these hacks do exactly? Maybe it has a different name here:

http://www.roofer911.com/roofing-art...ng-valleys.htm

At this point, I'd almost like to give the the siding work to someone else. But don't think I can get out of the contract. Maybe if I make a fuss about the general lack of quality they'll fix something (besides having 'woven valleys" in my contract). They are a established local company with a decent reputation.

Last edited by uncleslam; 12-01-2008 at 11:57 PM.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:05 AM   #15

Quote:
This was not a recover, although it sorta looks like one. Hard to tell if a good hot day will flatten the shingles - next one is in 6 months.

So what type of valley did these hacks do exactly? Maybe it has a different name here:

http://www.roofer911.com/roofing-art...ng-valleys.htm

At this point, I'd almost like to give the the siding work to someone else. But don't think I can get out of the contract. Maybe if I make a fuss about the general lack of quality they'll fix something (besides having 'woven valleys" in my contract). They are a established local company with a decent reputation.
according to the link you gave, you have the long island cut valley. I have a few issues with that link. one I noticed that all the shingles running up the valley are all stepped in about 6-7" if I remember correctly it is not the proper stepping that the manufacture states to cut the shingles. which will give the roof a pattern appearance. as to the manufactures suggested cutting sequence. which shoes no pattern and looks a lot better in my opinion. Tauten Press should of did a little more research on the point of what the manufactures recommend on the install. not on what a roofing company came up with to save time. Again just my opinion. BOB. Do it right or don't do it at all.