Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-16-2012, 10:49 PM   #1

Share |

What to do with shingle nail ends when sistering rafters

I need to sister a couple of rafters in (full length sisters) to support new dormers. Sisters were spec'd by engineer.

anyway, there are many spots where i have shingle nails protruding where the sisters will be....all the nails protrude about 3/8"-1/2"

so what should I do in this case, I dont think bending them would be a great solution because the exposed shank is so short....I definitely dont want to back them out, then hammer back into the sisters once up...

so that leaves me with clipping them (shouldnt be a problem with a strong pair of nippers).

whats the standard thing to do in this situation?

thanks!

jcrack_corn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:02 PM   #2

Sawsall with a metal cutting blade. Takes about 10 sec. per nail.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:07 PM   #3
Doing This Way Too Long

or a peanut grinder. Smoother than the snips.
OldNBroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:52 AM   #4

thx! never considered the sawzall...just picked up some new blades too.
jcrack_corn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 04:42 PM   #5
RFN-4A-LVN

Might be overkill but maybe you should seal the bottoms of the shingle where your cutting the nail points.Or pull the nails along the length of the truss then refasten.

Last edited by Roofmaster417; 03-17-2012 at 04:54 PM.
Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 05:06 PM   #6
Doing This Way Too Long

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roofmaster417 View Post
Might be overkill but maybe you should seal the bottoms of the shingle where your cutting the nail points.Or pull the nails along the length of the truss then refasten.
Yeah but you gotta remember it's only a few nails and they are still penetrating the sheeting. In the whole scheme of things it's not gonna affect the integrity of the roof.
The Following User Says Thank You to OldNBroken For This Useful Post:
seeyou (03-18-2012)
Old 03-17-2012, 11:20 PM   #7

The fasteners are code required to enter 3/4" in wood or penetrate the sheathing. “R905.2.5 Fasteners. Fasteners for asphalt shingles shall be galvanized steel, stainless steel, aluminum or copper roofing nails, minimum 12 gage [0.105 inch (3 mm)] shank with a minimum 3/8-inch (10 mm) diameter head, ASTM F 1667, of a length to penetrate through the roofing materials and a minimum of 3/4 inch (19 mm) into the roof sheathing. Where the roof sheathing is less than 3/4 inch (19 mm) thick, the fasteners shall penetrate through the sheathing. Fasteners shall comply with ASTM F 1667.” From: http://publicecodes.citation.com/ico...005_par007.htm

I wouldn't cut them flush for a few reasons other than code; grinding them will heat the nail to melt the asphalt shingle there- reducing it's holding ability in high winds, cutting will loosen/expand the wood surrounding it for less withdraw power also, but mainly---- you need to step flash the dormer side walls that require framing directly on the sheathing after removing or at least inserting the step flashing before framing them. Requiring pulling shingles the width of framing plus side wall sheathing to the new metal flashing.... 4"- 6" (2x4 or 2x6) back from the doubler anyway, right?

Gary
Old 03-17-2012, 11:37 PM   #8
Doing This Way Too Long

Once again, his roof is not going to blow off just because he sheared a few nails off to sister a rafter.
The Following User Says Thank You to OldNBroken For This Useful Post:
seeyou (03-18-2012)
Old 03-18-2012, 07:11 AM   #9
STAFF

But he will have humps in his shingles where the nail works back out with nothing left to hold the nail in place. As Roofmaster417 said, pull the nails you need and renail after installing the other rafters. I would be interested to see how he gets a full length rafter in place, without altering it, there are going to be other roofing nails sticking through the bottom of the decking for him to slide the rafter not to mention dealing with the thickness of the 2X at the plumb cut or the birds mouth. It is not not going to be easy.

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:58 PM   #10
RFN-4A-LVN

It may or may not ever be an issue.I just thought it was something to think about.IMHPO I would do it on a customers home (Pull & Refasten)but might not on my own home.

But I am sure if my wife heard about my comment about it being O.K for my house I would have to delete this,burn my hard drive then deny it till my dying day.

Last edited by Roofmaster417; 03-18-2012 at 10:01 PM.
Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roofmaster417 For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (03-18-2012)
Old 03-18-2012, 10:19 PM   #11
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Simple solution: Nail Dikes/cutters.

Looks like this: http://www.amazon.com/JT-Tough-1-Nai.../dp/B002HICAXS

I understand Gary's point, especially in high wind regions. So, it may be prudent to take reference measurements, and go roof-top to add some shingle nails and sealant (where needed).
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:57 PM   #12
Shut in w/o Home

Quote:
It may or may not ever be an issue.I just thought it was something to think about.IMHPO I would do it on a customers home (Pull & Refasten)but might not on my own home.

But I am sure if my wife heard about my comment about it being O.K for my house I would have to delete this,burn my hard drive then deny it till my dying day.

Bwhahahahahaha
seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:37 PM   #13
STAFF

Quote:

We aren't going to call and tell your wife, we are just going to ask her does she know it.

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:01 PM   #14
Pro Slate Roofer

Clip them off flush. The parts in the air aren't holding anything.
tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tinner666 For This Useful Post:
OldNBroken (03-19-2012)
Old 03-20-2012, 01:07 AM   #15

I would think the longer the fastener, the longer it stays in the sheathing in a high wind. Correct, overall, it isn't that big a deal, as I said earlier, the main reason.... Yet, the extra 1/8" is required by some shingle manufacturers for the full warranty: Tamko product, 2.4 B: http://onlineplanroom.docucopyllc.co...image_id=80019

CertainTeed products; http://www.certainteed.com/resources...arkinstall.pdf

And with a quick search: If live in Missouri, pp. 16, 2.5 B: http://oa.mo.gov/fmdc/dc/fmdc_dip/6%...n%20Manual.pdf

Peer pressure: 1/8" required: NRCA, ARMA, pp. 24, #387: http://www.armamembers.org/Meeting/p...20Comments.pdf

jcrack corn, Jim (jiju1943) made a good point, just hold the doubler down the thickness of some added plywood strips between the nails in the way, you will be fastening the sisters to code....yet will still have full bearing, and not effect the nails. Simply add the same ply to the existing rafter bottom for the rake wall plate to support fully.

Gary