Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-11-2010, 06:03 PM   #1

Share |

What to do, header issue and wood damage

The header used for the common load bearing wall seems to be supported improperly. It's a concrete block wall and then a 2x? as the header/topper where the hip roof and ceiling supports go. I'm raising the back 1/2 of the house's ceiling 8" to match the front of the house.
My plan was to simply use the same support, then I saw this (pics enclosed)
I think I should get a 2x?/4x? and trim it to fit, this might be hard to do because if it's too tall/short it won't really help, but I still think I should do something.

Also in the pics is some of the damage to the redwood. What is this? My guess is termites or carp ants, but what kind?

House: 1937 concrete block walls, hip roof, all redwood roof, 1 sofit vent.
Note: I've been cutting back the redwood till I reach good wood, and it's only a very few boards that are like this...
The header/support thing has wood under it, but it's not touching the 2x4 that's bolted to the top of the wall. I could run a row of blocks down this 15' wall, if that would be best or just add more support.
Thanks, KarlJay.
Attached Thumbnails
What to do, header issue and wood damage-header01.jpg   What to do, header issue and wood damage-header02.jpg   What to do, header issue and wood damage-redwood02.jpg  

Last edited by KarlJay; 10-11-2010 at 06:07 PM. Reason: more info
KarlJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 09:42 PM   #2
I have gas!

I'm having a little trouble figuring out where this is. Could you take a step or 10 back and take a pic of the whole thing?
Old 10-11-2010, 10:38 PM   #3

OK, sorry, the pic size limit was 100k, so I had to cut some out.
Maybe some labels will help, it's basically a load bearing wall that has some wood instead of the final course of blocks. I plan on adding to this wood, the load from the rear of the house. I'm thinking a 2x10 should work if needed.
Attached Thumbnails
What to do, header issue and wood damage-header03.jpg   What to do, header issue and wood damage-header02.jpg  
Old 10-11-2010, 11:12 PM   #4

i still cant make out where this is in relation to the big pic
federer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 11:16 PM   #5

Update: based on the thickness of the wall under this wood, it looks like I have no choice but to either replace the wood with concrete blocks or add more wood.
The problem is that the wall is 8 3/4" thick and the wood is about 7 3/4" over... so it's sitting on the last 1" of wall. That doesn't sound good to me. I think I'll just buy a 2x10 or 4x10 and cut to fit. I'll just make as many passes as needed to get a tight fit. I wonder if I use doug fir would it settle/shrink a bit, maybe it should be 1/16 too tall?
Old 10-11-2010, 11:29 PM   #6

You may get better luck with your question.....maybe in the carpentry or construction forum.Just saying
johnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 01:27 PM   #7

Ok a few more pics, the wall I'm concerned with is an interier load bearing wall, made of cement blocks and topped with a 2x? wood beam.
Attached Thumbnails
What to do, header issue and wood damage-header04.jpg   What to do, header issue and wood damage-header05.jpg   What to do, header issue and wood damage-header06.jpg  
Old 10-12-2010, 01:34 PM   #8

If I'm seeing it right, the cement block wall used to be an exterior wall and then an addition was put on. is that it?

How about some pics of the house before you tore into the roof?
steveel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 01:49 PM   #9

Here's an older pic, you can see the two walls, one is taller than the other.
the tip of the arrow from 'load bearing wall...' is almost exactly where the wood header starts, it runs nearly the whole length of the wall. This wall is about the 1/2 point of the house, and all the left side of pic has the roof removed.
The wall you see with a window and door, is the 8" shorter wall as were all the other walls on that half of the house.
Attached Thumbnails
What to do, header issue and wood damage-roof02.jpg  

Last edited by KarlJay; 10-12-2010 at 01:53 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:00 PM   #10

So you will be removing the lower 2x4 ceiling joist and adding new correct size ceiling joists for the span? Resting on another 2x8, on shims (to plane), creating a flat ceiling below.

Another 4x nailed in place of the old header would work on the old plate. If the sill plate is also rotten from earlier water damage, replace a section of that too. The beam replacement has to span the opening below and have at least 3" bearing on each side. Leave 1/2" air gap at beam end to any concrete block, as required by Code.
This will help for sizing the new joists: http://www.colonie.org/forms/building/bdspanab.pdf

If you are raising the rafters and ceiling, consult your local B.D. for their requirements. A filler beam on top the exterior walls need approved attachments for the seismic zone you are in.

Gary
Clean the ducting in the last six months? 17,000 dryer fires annually!

Last edited by Gary in WA; 10-12-2010 at 02:04 PM.
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote