Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-04-2008, 10:10 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

What to do with gutter runoff?

To preface... I live in a small city lot (140-x-40 ft I think) in an old town that has a combined waste/storm water sewage system. Come Feb 1st, everyone is required to disconnect their downspouts from the city sewer system.

Many people seem to be just diverting their downspouts directly into their yard at the base of their houses. This seems to create a lot of mud (due to the close proximity of houses) and I'm worried will cause problems with crawlspaces & foundations.

Is it safe to do this? Are they any alternatives as to what to do with all this water? I imagine rain barrels will just fill up too fast.

PirateKatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 09:05 PM   #2
What can I find here?

Rewards Points: 150

Running downspouts out to the yard is all I've ever known.

Winchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 01:25 PM   #3
Commercial Roofing

Rewards Points: 500

If your basement is proper, then no problems. There is no more water getting onto the roof than there is in the the space the roof occupies on the ground.... well not much more.

Go for it.
Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 03:58 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateKatz View Post
To preface... I live in a small city lot (140-x-40 ft I think) in an old town that has a combined waste/storm water sewage system. Come Feb 1st, everyone is required to disconnect their downspouts from the city sewer system.

Many people seem to be just diverting their downspouts directly into their yard at the base of their houses. This seems to create a lot of mud (due to the close proximity of houses) and I'm worried will cause problems with crawlspaces & foundations.

Is it safe to do this? Are they any alternatives as to what to do with all this water? I imagine rain barrels will just fill up too fast.
This can be a problem. The same thing occurred in my area awhile back!
I now have a pond that forms in my back yard! My neighbor has water at his garage over-head door. And when this freezes, he cannot get into his garage.
My eaves troughs used to empty into my backyard and I have now changed them to flow out to the road where we have storm sewers!
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 06:33 AM   #5
Commercial Roofing

Rewards Points: 500

What about changing the pitch of the land to facilitate water runoff? Seems like the most reasonable remedy.
Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote