What Can You Tell From These Roof Damage Photos? - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-20-2013, 08:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

What can you tell from these roof damage photos?

This is found on the roof of an investment property that I'm looking to purchase. The damage near the front has been there for at least 1-2 months, minimum.

From what you can see, how serious does this damage appear to be, what might I be looking at to repair this cost-wise? Obviously this is not just to the sheathing as it looks like a big hole, but what might I be looking at in damage and costs on the surface and for the framing below it if you think that is likely damaged?

Also, generally, about the roof from the little you can see, any comments (I have zero experience with roofing work)? What can you tell from these roof damage photos?-3_12-161.jpg

What can you tell from these roof damage photos?-3_12-209.jpg

What can you tell from these roof damage photos?-3_12-160.jpg,

Advertisement

99altrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:06 PM   #2
Pro Slate Roofer

Rewards Points: 1,038

Plan on tearing it all off and putting a new roof on. Looks like 3 layers to me. Possibly extensive damage on the rake because it looks like that outer-rake rafter is sagged too. No telling about interior damage, but the whole roof is shot. Don't forget to figure the shed roof in too.

Advertisement

tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tinner666 For This Useful Post:
kwikfishron (03-20-2013), oh'mike (04-10-2013)
Old 03-20-2013, 08:06 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 664

Need a whole new roof and possible new sheathing. I'd be surprzed if there was a lot more going on in the attic and ceilings.
That roof is long over due.
Start making some local calls to some roofers, a bunch of guesses on the net will do you little good.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:44 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies this far, very helpful.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:50 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,496

I am guessing at least min. 5 layers, maybe a few more. You are looking at a complete tear off, replacement of roof sheathing, repairing any damaged trusses from rot, also replacing any damaged insulation material & ceilings from water intrusion.

Pretty much can cost you as little as say $25k for getting it back up to modern standards, or could cost you as much as the property is actually worth. Really depends on how bad that structure is, inside & out.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
mj12 (03-21-2013)
Old 03-20-2013, 08:56 PM   #6

Wow, as *little* as 25k, intense, thanks again. Can't wait until I can get pictures of the second structure. You guys are going to love it !
Old 03-20-2013, 09:00 PM   #7
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,096

Judging by the pictures you posted this is an old house. I would put it at turn of the century early 1900's. I would figure on tearing all roofs and sheathing off and re-sheathing with minimum 19/32" CD, Exposure 1 plywood, then re-roofing. They used full 1 inch square edged boards called roofers on houses of this vintage, and you will have gaps of up to a half inch in the deck. If you can take some pictures in the attic that would help. Most of these old homes had steps going up there.

It is probably balloon construction also, and in some cases the ist floor walls were filled with masonry rubble.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jagans For This Useful Post:
99altrade (03-20-2013)
Old 03-20-2013, 09:13 PM   #8
registered

Rewards Points: 524

Expect a roofer to get deep into your wallet. It looks like at least 3 layer tearoff. All new sheathing. Chimmey reflashed. Proper venting. Etc... Hopefully the rafters are sound.

You should IMMEDIATELY get a tarp over the section of roof.

Last edited by 747; 03-20-2013 at 09:15 PM.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 747 For This Useful Post:
99altrade (03-20-2013)
Old 03-20-2013, 09:13 PM   #9

Thanks much for the insight! You are spot on. House is 1903. I will try to get access to attic/roof interior to view and snap pics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagans View Post
Judging by the pictures you posted this is an old house. I would put it at turn of the century early 1900's. I would figure on tearing all roofs and sheathing off and re-sheathing with minimum 19/32" CD, Exposure 1 plywood, then re-roofing. They used full 1 inch square edged boards called roofers on houses of this vintage, and you will have gaps of up to a half inch in the deck. If you can take some pictures in the attic that would help. Most of these old homes had steps going up there.

It is probably balloon construction also, and in some cases the ist floor walls were filled with masonry rubble.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:50 PM   #10
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99altrade View Post
Wow, as *little* as 25k, intense, thanks again. Can't wait until I can get pictures of the second structure. You guys are going to love it !
It is a ball park figure. If you want, I could tell you that it is going to cost a min. of $100k, or maybe it is $1,000,000.00.

We cannot tell you what it can cost you, but ball park figures are a good estimate, because it could be lower, could be higher, and until you get a crew on site to go through and start crunching the numbers, there is no way you will know the total costs for rehabbing that structure back up to being code compliant, and structurally sound.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 03-20-2013, 09:52 PM   #11
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagans View Post

For all I can tell, is that it could have been built in the 50's or 60's. That type of box was typical all the way up until the 70's, not just early 1900's. Also keep in mind that Turn of the century can state that it was built between 2000 to 2001, due to we are in the 21st century.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
It is a ball park figure. If you want, I could tell you that it is going to cost a min. of $100k, or maybe it is $1,000,000.00.

We cannot tell you what it can cost you, but ball park figures are a good estimate, because it could be lower, could be higher, and until you get a crew on site to go through and start crunching the numbers, there is no way you will know the total costs for rehabbing that structure back up to being code compliant, and structurally sound.
I was serious, not intending on being sarcastic at all. I think your 25k number is prob pretty close to what it will cost to replace that roof and a bit of framework. Thanks again, much appreciated.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
For all I can tell, is that it could have been built in the 50's or 60's. That type of box was typical all the way up until the 70's, not just early 1900's. Also keep in mind that Turn of the century can state that it was built between 2000 to 2001, due to we are in the 21st century.
Property records show original build in 1903.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:05 PM   #14
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99altrade View Post
I was serious, not intending on being sarcastic at all. I think your 25k number is prob pretty close to what it will cost to replace that roof and a bit of framework. Thanks again, much appreciated.
I was not being sarcastic either. We have put up a disclaimer that states that no pricing info can be given out, and since these threads pop up in search engines, from web crawlers, what we really do not need is someone coming along later, and pulling this thread up from the dead, and state that our figures were way off, and give some figure that they think is what it could cost.

So in turn, we have a little fun, and throw out some arbitrary figures, to throw them off, but to also lighten up the topic, since stuff like you are showing, gets a little unbearable for some who are directly dealing with the situation, and it can eat them up, from dealing with the stress.

As for the info for the property, our house was built around 1937, but the garage was added somewhere around 1963, so we keep getting stuff from the bank telling us that our house is only around 50 years old, but in reality is more like 75 plus years old.

I have my roofing guy coming next week to knock down the old chimney, due to we now have a power vent water heater, and his estimate was $600 for labor, parts are minor, since we have the wood stock, and he is bringing some #30 felt that he has in his stock, and pulling shingles out of the bundle we have stored in our garage.

I think all together so far, he will have put in over $4600 on our roof, from the time he did it, to adding a power vent, pulling some old windows out of the attic, and now this job.

Yesterday I surprised when I got the bill for labor & materials for the water heater install. Came out under $500. I was figuring at least $600 for that, but got a break, because I help him with stuff, when he comes over to do plumbing or hvac, so it helps him out, and gives me a discount.
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
99altrade (03-20-2013)
Old 03-21-2013, 01:13 AM   #15
Doing This Way Too Long

Rewards Points: 524

Well at least you are not one of those people coming in with rose-colored glasses on. Can't really add much to what you've already been told. There is no "fix" for that at all. Always do love to see pictures of failed repair attempts like that though. Hurry and show us the others.

Advertisement

OldNBroken is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof damage