Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-27-2008, 11:03 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Wet Roof Insulation

Ok, I started today on fixing my roof venting issue. [See below for more details.] First piece of insulation that I pulled back was stained black--so it was definatly doing the house breathing. Next rafter over, as I started to pull back the insulation, I noticed water running out! Thankfully, the roof is dry, all the moisture was trapped between the insulation and the pink tray foam.

Question 1: this insulation is pretty wet, but as you might guess, removing it would be a lot of work (like, remove all ceiling drywall). I'm thinking of just pulling back as much as I can, and letting it air dry. Good/bad?

2. Is my thinking on this correct: the house is normally breathing, it has warm moist air rising upwards. But because air flow through the ridge vent is compromised by the lack of air intakes, air flow is slow. The warm moist interior air slows down, cools down, and dumps its moisture where it can.

3. last winter, and already this winter, I'm having an issue with moisture build up in the house, on the windows. I'm already on the verge of getting frost buildup. Might I need some sort of inside vent?

House issue:
Full length ridge vent, pink foam tray under roof, at least most of it, before hitting a crawlspace. This crawlspace has a piece of 1x dimensional wood blocking the pink try from getting into this crawlspace. So, no air intake at the bottom of the pink venting tray. [Crawlspace is void of a good air intake too.]

supton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 02:48 PM   #2

Wet Roof Insulation

Well, I pulled out almost all of the blocking. It was 1" dimensional, in some places held in with only one nail. I don't think it was there for structural support (I think I've read that it sometimes is used to keep beams from twisting under load?), perhaps either fire blocking or to originally block airflow. Once I pulled off the boards I could feel a nice draft into those foam trays, so that is a good sign. Now I just need to get more air intake.

Old 11-28-2008, 02:37 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Wet Roof Insulation

check out soffit
chad4290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 04:12 PM   #4

Wet Roof Insulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad4290 View Post
check out soffit
No soffit vent on this side of the roof. I do have a 4"x6" gable vent, on one one. Am working on increasing the ventilation.