Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-10-2011, 08:08 AM   #1

Share |

wet insulation

we have a leak around nail in roof and thus our fiberglass insulation and part of ceiling is very wet in kitchen. Do we need to try and salvage the insulation by fans in attic or replace it? Also what about ceiling to prevent mold?

wheatstopeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:42 AM   #2
Exterior Construction

wet insulation

The insulation will usually dry out once the moisture has been removed.

If you are doing any drywall repairs and have access to the insulation, it is cheap and you might as well replace the damage sections.

If not, it will usually dry to outside (winter months) pretty quickly once you get rid of the moisture source.

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:52 AM   #3
Chicago, IL

wet insulation

If unfaced fiberglass insulation was not contaminated, and there is no mold growth, insulation manufacturers generally state that previously wetted fiberglass insulation can be reused, see for example:

Question: Should I replace wet insulation?

Many people disagree with this advice, but while in my troubled building consultations I'm quick to push for having water damage corrected "properly" even if this is more expensive, I've never been able to find any objective evidence that reuse-in-place of now dry unfaced fiberglass insulation previously wetted by clean water is an inferior practice - all other things being equal - to replacing it.

I'm paid to be suspicious...

Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:15 PM   #4

wet insulation

Nasty stuff, that: http://www.inspectapedia.com/sickhou...rglassMold.htm The paper on the drywall attic side got wet?

Gary