Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-14-2011, 02:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

wet chimney inside the house...

Hi!

I have been experiencing a damp chimney inside my house. The chimney runs through the center (it's a duplex) up through the pantry in the kitchen. I have had the chimney flashing redone (just about a week ago). Unfortunately, it is still damp and I can't do any repairs yet.

So here are my questions:

1. how long should it take for all of the water to exit the bricks and mortar assuming that it could have been saturated before the new flashing was installed?

2. Could there be any other source of water infiltration? I was told that it could be the flue gases condensing in the attic (it's not very well insulated) and then making the chimney damp. Or, possibly something else????

Thanks!

sobro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 02:56 PM   #2
I have gas!

Rewards Points: 1,012

Is there a chimney cap on it?

Old 04-14-2011, 03:01 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

yes - there are two caps . Plus it has two liners (clay?). Both appear to be in very good shape.
sobro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 04:03 PM   #4
Shut in w/o Home

Rewards Points: 500

I have had the chimney flashing redone (just about a week ago). Unfortunately, it is still damp

1. how long should it take for all of the water to exit the bricks and mortar assuming that it could have been saturated before the new flashing was installed?

It might take a month or two, assuming you have plaster on brick. Getting the humidity down in the house (running the A/C or a de-humidifier) would help.

2. Could there be any other source of water infiltration? I was told that it could be the flue gases condensing in the attic (it's not very well insulated) and then making the chimney damp. Or, possibly something else????

The flue gas theory is probably not valid in a lined chimney. It could be an issue in an unlined chimney.

Look at the wash/crown on the top of the chimney. If there are any cracks or a gap around the flue liner, seal them. Water could be entering the mass of the chimney through any breaches at the top. Any water that gets in there will bypass the flashing.
seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chimney, flashing, leak, roof, water