Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-29-2010, 08:04 AM   #1

Share |

weatherguard ice membrane

When using weatherguard ice membrance where the porch meets the roof, should you use flashing over it, or is the weatherguard sufficient?

guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 08:11 PM   #2

the membrane will weatherproof it, but you do want to put a flashing over it to protect it from direct sun and other weather

jandcwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:21 PM   #3

thanks!
Old 11-01-2010, 09:17 PM   #4

maybe I need to explain my question a little better. I have a cape cod style home with a full front porch. The front porch is attached up on the roof , its not really a valley, just a break where the porch meets the other roof and the pitch gets steeper. It gets shingled over without having to cut or lace the shingles to make an actual valley, it is just shingled over like the rest of the roof. There is about a foot or so of the steeper pitched part of the roof in front of the dormers and then it meets the front porch roof. I just had the roof replaced and the dormers resheeted (7/16 and typar). The roofers ran weatherguard ice membrane all the way across the roof where the porch meets and let it lap up the front of the dormers about 1 foot, they also ran the ice membrane on the roof beside the dormers and up the sides of the dormers also about 1 foot followed by galvanized step flashing, per my request. I went to get a box of nails and when I returned I saw that they had also put galvanized flashing in front of the dormers. When I asked the roofer if he also covered the weatherguard with the galvanized flashing all the way across where the front porch meets, he said no - only in front of the dormers. I had said several times to him that I wanted the weatherguard covered with galvanized flashing all the way across and he knew I was a stickler for flashing because I had stressed it to him thru the whole process. I had even had him reflash over the old flashing in the dormer valleys with galvanized so I had a double layer of flashing there. I was kinda miffed, but it was too late to do anything as he was already too far up the roof to change it and it would have torn up a lot to redo it, so I am hoping for the best. He said he couldn't flash over the weatherguard because the weatherguard would'nt heat up and melt the snow if he put metal on top cause the metal would get cold. I call b.s. on that, I thought metal got hot on a roof. Anyhow I am wondering if any roofers out there think I will have any trouble out of this. The shingles completely cover the weatherguard and are dimensional 35 year. I really don't have to have weatherguard ice here in ky, I just wanted that double layer of protection up the sides of the dormers and across where the porch meets. I hope this explains what I am asking better, although lengthy. Thanks to any roofers who will answer.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:19 PM   #5
Chicago, IL

Pictures?
Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:36 PM   #6

sorry, no pictures, my son has camera, just do the best you can.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:11 PM   #7

I think your fine.Not you,your roof
johnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:16 PM   #8

thank you, I appreciate the help!
Old 11-02-2010, 04:55 AM   #9
Pro Slate Roofer

It's an underlay. You don't flash underlay. You do flash the roof though.
As for this so called double layer, if water gets under the roof, it would get through 4 layers of metal and underlay. It's all about getting the roof correct, not the underlay.
tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:27 AM   #10

thanks again, I'm starting to feel a little better about it.