Which Way Do The Louvers Face On Soffit Venting? - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-25-2009, 09:14 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Which way do the louvers face on soffit venting?

I plan on installing louvered vents for my soffit venting and would like to know if it makes a difference which way the louvers face? My gut tells me the wider, opened part of the louver fin should face away from the house to allow air to more easily flow through the vent. Any comments are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Advertisement

creamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:32 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 268

Interested to see the answer, as my gut tells me the reverse. I'd think you'd want to protect the entrance to the vent from blowing rain and debris. Enough air is going to get in there either way, I'd think.

Advertisement

WaldenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:07 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

which way do louvers face on soffit vents ,in or out
fastjimmy09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:59 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

The louvers want to face out, towards the gutter. As the wind/rain blows across the land, it hits the wall and turns up, following it. Any rain falling blows onto the wind flow adding to the wet that would otherwise end up in your attic. It doesn't flow into the roof overhang and go down, the roof o.h. is much smaller than the surface(ground) in front of the house.
Install the louvers as close to the fascia board as possible, away from the house. Use continuous venting or you will have some rafter/truss bays not being supplied with air. A ridge vent with baffles is superior to one without. http://www.oikos.com/esb/30/atticvent.html Use baffles near the soffit, over the exterior wall with rigid foam unless your rafters have a raised heel to get the required R-value per inch of insulation.
Be safe, Gary