Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-29-2009, 03:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

water pouring in dirt cellar everytime it rains

Hi All, I'm new at this so bear with me. I have an old house with a slate roof and no gutters. I have two valleys in the roof that funnel the rain water into the same spots next to the stone foundation. Where the water hits the ground there is quite a bit of erosion and it is at these two valley locations that the leaks in the basement have developed. I talked to my roofer about installing gutters and he said that it would be problematic with the slate roof particularly in the winter when the snow slides off. My question is there anything I can do other than a gutter to divert the water farther away from the house foundation to stop the leaks? I have thought of fashioning some sort of ply wood and PVC pipe funneling system to catch the water pouring of the valleys and divert it farther away from the foundation. What material should I fill the holes with that been created by the run off ? Thanks for your suggestions.

mikechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 04:31 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

You can add Snow Guards to the roof to minimize the slide down affect and still have the gitters installed and I recommend that you add 5-10 foot extensions on the bottom to carry the rain run-off farther away from the foundation.

Other than that, if you have any kids, they may appreciate a Slip And Slide grom the roof valley to the ground.....BUMP.....

Ed

Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 10:03 AM   #3
old timer

Rewards Points: 75

You can install gutters. Just keep them below the roof plane so the snow slides over, and not into, the gutter.
dmc@RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 09:30 AM   #4
Roofing Contractor

Rewards Points: 75

Hi,

Find a new roofer.

You can install an box gutter a couple of courses up the roof or regular gutter.

Where are you located?
Leftyho is offline   Reply With Quote