Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-01-2012, 09:57 AM   #1

Share |

water behind gutters

I recently had a gutter contractor install seamless aluminum gutters on a 70' by 45' wrap around porch i built over the past year. I had our first rainstorm last evening and i wanted to see the gutters in action. I noticed there was alot of water pouring out from between my aluminum fascia cover and the back of my gutter. I inspected the gutters this morning and found that they did not tuck the back of the gutter behind the drip edge. It does not state in the contract that they were to tuck the gutter behind the drip edge. I paid alot of money for this seamless pro installation. Should they have installed the gutters higher,to allow the drip edge to cover the back of the gutter. Or did do something wrong when i built my roof by only allowing the shingles to overhang the drip edge by 5/8 of an inch. I would really appreciate some insight to my dilemma. Thankyou very much.

mountainstrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:33 PM   #2

water behind gutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstrail View Post
I recently had a gutter contractor install seamless aluminum gutters on a 70' by 45' wrap around porch i built over the past year. I had our first rainstorm last evening and i wanted to see the gutters in action. I noticed there was alot of water pouring out from between my aluminum fascia cover and the back of my gutter. I inspected the gutters this morning and found that they did not tuck the back of the gutter behind the drip edge. It does not state in the contract that they were to tuck the gutter behind the drip edge. I paid alot of money for this seamless pro installation. Should they have installed the gutters higher,to allow the drip edge to cover the back of the gutter. Or did do something wrong when i built my roof by only allowing the shingles to overhang the drip edge by 5/8 of an inch. I would really appreciate some insight to my dilemma. Thankyou very much.
The Gutter guy should of put chaulking along the seams of the gutter where the gutter meats the fascia board.
The Shingles Should Over hang the Drip edge about 1/4in - 1/2 in and go flush up the rakes/gable but, if its flush at the bottom which is sound slike yours is that is no reason for those gutters to have water run behind them, that is 100% his fault and he is the gutter guy that is suppose to come in and install his product and installed so no problems occur.
During a Re-roof Yes the drop edge will flap over the Gutters but, if your roof has been done recently most gutter guys will just chalk the seam and that is it

vandel777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:58 PM   #3
"So I Re-Wired It"

water behind gutters

simply put.... this gutter guy stinks! if they had any skill, the gutters would have been installed properly the first time.
caulking is one way to fix it, but I dont recommend it. If they dont want to re-install the gutter, the very least
they could do is add flashing under the dripedge so the water flows directly into the gutter.

I see/hear this all the time. unfortunately poor installations such as this makes people think gutters are problematic.
as with anything, do it right and there will be no problems

Also make sure you have enough downspouts and gutters are properly sloped.
in areas that get little to moderate rain it is recommended to have one downspout for every 55'.
if your porch is three sided i would recommend four downspouts. if it only wraps around one side, then Three should be fine.

Roughly $1000 U.S. to install this without leaf guard
MisterZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:33 PM   #4

water behind gutters

Caulking is temporary. I always cut a stip of aluminum coil stock on my sheet metal brake and slip it under the drip edge and over the gutter. It never, ever leaks.
Davejss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:40 PM   #5
"So I Re-Wired It"

water behind gutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davejss View Post
Caulking is temporary. I always cut a stip of aluminum coil stock on my sheet metal brake and slip it under the drip edge and over the gutter. It never, ever leaks.

Good Man!!
you can also buy 2" or 3" flashing in 100' rolls.... if you need a lot
Old 08-01-2012, 11:21 PM   #6

water behind gutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstrail View Post
Should they have installed the gutters higher,to allow the drip edge to cover the back of the gutter.
You didn't mention your roof slope, but proper location of the gutter is:

water behind gutters-capture.png

Name:  Capture2.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  28.1 KB

Source: www.bergerbuildingproducts.com/pdfs/installation_gutter.pdf

There a tons of houses with no drip edge and gutters that work fine. Drip edge has no relevance on whether or not a gutter works. Drip edge was not invented because of gutter problems.

The NRCA recommends that shingles be flush with or overhang no more than 3/4" of an inch over the drip edge, so you didn't do anything wrong. But in reality, this may work fine on very steep roofs but this may not work on say a 3 or 4:12 roof.

I have always extended the shingles 1.5" on the eaves and 1" on the rakes. Yes the shingles can curl but there are tricks that can be done that can keep them perfectly straight when this is needed. When I am done, the rain always dumps in the gutters, and the gutter guys can hang gutters at the proper location without caulking or adding metal strips.

The only reason the gutter guy may "stink" is that he didn't warn you that this would be an issue and offer a resolution up front. In that I would recommend you have him come out and rectify the problem.
roofnron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:46 AM   #7

water behind gutters

thank you for all the good info everyone. With this information i called the gutter company back and told them the problem and what it looked like was causing it. They said they will be back out next week and fix the leaks free of charge. I will tell them about flashing the drip edge, that seems like a good permanent fix for the life of the shingles i installed.
A couple specs on the roof are as follows. Original house has a 12/12 pitch that i put a 4 sided wrap around porch on that is about 9' deep with the overhang. The new roof on the wrap around porch that ties into the existing roof is only a little more than a 3/12 pitch. I extended the shingles about 5/8 inch past the drip edge. Total dimensions of porch roof are now about 70' by 48'. 6 inch seamless gutter was used with 4 inch by 6 inch down spouts. Only 2 down spouts were used on the southern gable end by my driveway because i have nowhere to shed water at other end of house do to improper swell around the house. That was the reasoning for over sized gutters and downspouts. Original estimate was around 3400 U.S. butt when he seen we were not interested in paying that much for gutters that i could do myself (they wouldnt have been seamless)he dropped the price to 2300 U.S. That included material for gutter, 2 down spouts and the required amount of brackets.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:50 AM   #8

water behind gutters

tried to add some pics butt i just couldnt fully figure out how to do it.