Water Behind Fascia - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-21-2008, 08:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Water behind fascia

I'm not sure whether I need a carpenter or roofer for this, so please forgive me if I should be posting to a different forum.

I'm getting water between the fascia board and the cedar shingles on the outside front of my house. The water trickles down the cedar shingles and freezes over on the exterior wall. I also checked the crawl space behind this board and there is water (not alot) coming in there too. The wood doesn't appear rotted on either side.

This is a sloped shingle roof. We are in the middle of 18" of snow in the last 48 hours so the roof is covered in heavy, wet snow.

The gutters were just cleaned last week.

I have heard about an ice dam to solve similar problems. Is this what I need? Do I need to check the flashing too?

Not to complicate things, but my back gutters also seem to get water coming between them and the fascia (but not behind the fascia). Could this be early stages of the same issue out front??

Thank you for your help.
-Scott

Advertisement

ScottinMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 06:12 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via MSN to the roofing god

Water behind fascia

actually the ice dam is what causes your problems,interior heat that passes your insulation meets the cold snow ,and melts the bottom layer,the water runs down to the unheated overhang and freezes,,happens over and over again,the ice dam gets larger and larger,and blocks water behind it,hence the term Dam-the dam forces the water back from your gutter,and thru your shingles in cases,where the water then runs down the outside/inside of the bearing wall,or even into the ceiling area-What you need to have--a snow rake to pull the snow from the outside edges of your roof,calcium chloride to help remove ice buildup,if very heavy cut drain channels at intervals thru the ice dam
later when you repair,you will need to:1)flash behind the gutter onto the roof with metal flashing,install ice and water shield up to 2 ft past the bearing wall,
install insulation baffles into the soffit at the soffit juncture add enough unfaced insulation/foam/fiberglass to raise the R-value above what`s necessary in your area
then you need a smart vent installed at the bottom of your roof(no overhang right?),install ridgevent so you have balanced ventilation,and your bases are covered as the only proper way to fix this is 3 parts :
1)Insulation
2)ventilation
3)waterproofing

Hope it all works out well for you,you probably should hire a professional for this as the work is treacherous

Advertisement

www.ADVANCEDROOFINGNEWYORK.com
the roofing god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 01:06 PM   #3
Pro Slate Roofer

Rewards Points: 1,038

Water behind fascia

Ditto what TRG said. And a pro might just catch any other issues that could contribute.
tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote