Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-31-2011, 09:01 PM   #1

Share |

vinyl soffit for roofing

I want a pure white roof. I tried paint but it doesn't look good after a few years. Good vinyl can last a long time. So why can't I put vinyl on my roof? I'm thinking non vented i.e. no holes, vinyl soffit running longways down the roof so the channels will point up and down. I realize I may need to get creative to keep the wind from blowing it off. I think I can solve that problem. I think it will look good, I could even do angles.

So, why can't I do this, why shouldn't I and what will I regret? Have at it. I already know it won't be easy to walk on if I need to do repairs. But I think I can solve that problem. What's else? Thanks.

dadob

Last edited by dadob; 05-31-2011 at 09:04 PM. Reason: more thougts
dadob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:37 PM   #2

vinyl soffit for roofing

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadob View Post
I want a pure white roof. I tried paint but it doesn't look good after a few years. Good vinyl can last a long time. So why can't I put vinyl on my roof? I'm thinking non vented i.e. no holes, vinyl soffit running longways down the roof so the channels will point up and down. I realize I may need to get creative to keep the wind from blowing it off. I think I can solve that problem. I think it will look good, I could even do angles.

So, why can't I do this, why shouldn't I and what will I regret? Have at it. I already know it won't be easy to walk on if I need to do repairs. But I think I can solve that problem. What's else? Thanks.

dadob
It'll be interesting how you seal the nail holes used to secure the vinyl onto the roof sheathing. Also, it'll be quite noisy with the flapping and thumping as you can't nail snug against the roof to allow for expansion and contraction.

Why don't you consider a prepainted metal roof.

handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:38 AM   #3

vinyl soffit for roofing

I've been dealing with Vinyl siding/soffit since the mid 1970's.
Also, an estimator/repair/super for a roofing-siding contractor/supplier.
Don't do it!!!!
You'll have nothing but problems!

Consider what "handy man88" advises - metal.

rossfingal

(to add: contrary to popular opinion - I've torn off Vinyl siding that had
been destroyed by "Hail" -that was on the sides of houses - think about
what could happen on a roof!!!)
rossfingal is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rossfingal For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (06-01-2011)
Old 06-01-2011, 09:06 AM   #4
the Musigician

vinyl soffit for roofing

I think you should ask someone that has actually done it if it's feasible or not. For a home?...nah.....
So far as a large roof that may need to be walked on for a dwelling, I'd certainly say no way, but for a small shed?
That's a different story altogether. Here's a small shed I did (sides AND roof) 7 years ago with all free vinyl soffit I had laying around. Not one drip inside. I silicone caulked the extra holes I added to make sure it did not blow off easily.
However, as you can see, parked under the wrong tree (It's a trailer with wheels.... moveable storage) will gray it a lot, plus I've never cleaned it..... but dry it is inside! It's been hit with lots of hail too, but not one hole! Maybe I'll go out and run a hot, soapy scrub brush over it to see how white it is underneath the years of basswood haze.

DM
Attached Thumbnails
vinyl soffit for roofing-vinyl-roof.jpg  
Old 06-01-2011, 09:35 AM   #5

vinyl soffit for roofing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
I think you should ask someone that has actually done it if it's feasible or not. For a home?...nah.....
So far as a large roof that may need to be walked on for a dwelling, I'd certainly say no way, but for a small shed?
That's a different story altogether. Here's a small shed I did (sides AND roof) 7 years ago with all free vinyl soffit I had laying around. Not one drip inside. I silicone caulked the extra holes I added to make sure it did not blow off easily.
However, as you can see, parked under the wrong tree (It's a trailer with wheels.... moveable storage) will gray it a lot, plus I've never cleaned it..... but dry it is inside! It's been hit with lots of hail too, but not one hole! Maybe I'll go out and run a hot, soapy scrub brush over it to see how white it is underneath the years of basswood haze.

DM
I must say that is really neat.

I tip my hat to you
waterman1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:57 PM   #6

vinyl soffit for roofing

just to say there is no vinyl siding or trim panel that will be warranted as roofing
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 01:32 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Grumpy Send a message via MSN to Grumpy Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy

vinyl soffit for roofing

Don't use paint. Instead use an elastomeric roof coating. use a high grade elastomeric coating, such as RM Lucas or ER Systems.

You can sometimes put vinyl shakes on your roof, depending on pitch. it has to be a really really steep pitch. Why can't you do it? They are NOT engineered to be water tight. Vinyl and aluminum siding are NOT water tight. Remive the vinyl after a heavy rain and the wall behind will be wet. It's the tyvek or similiar weather resistant barrier that keeps the water out, and on a wall the gravity. On a rof you won't have that gravity and each nail hole will LEAK.

Tear off the roof, install a cover board and a white thermoplastic like TPO or PVC. Perhaps install a shingle like the CertainTeed star white.

Sometimes the savings that comes from doing it yourself can be blown away with one mistake.

The information found in this post is not to be considered legal advice. All information should be considered relative, not specific. Never attempt any repairs you are not comfortable with. Always maintain safety! The author of this post takes no responsibility for any losses that occur. Use at your own risk.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote