Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-13-2013, 10:50 AM   #1

Share |

Vinyl Siding and a Sloped Slab

Background first: Purchased my house about 2 years ago. It is a brick ranch house with what was originally a cement slab on the back. The previous owner (the original owner) added a roof at a later time when the house was trimmed with aluminum over the original wood. More recently but still by the original owner, the porch was closed in to make a laundry room.

When the porch was enclosed, vinyl siding was used on the outside. Recall that this was originally a cement slab, so it is angled down for water runoff. This apparently created a challenge for the installer. I'll let the pictures speak for themselves, but obviously there is a gap. How do I fix this without redoing the whole job?

There is no j-channel at all at the bottom, or any type of finish molding. Just the siding.

Overall Addition:

Next to the House:

End of Porch - notice gap between slate and vinyl:

Other Side - gap also present, but the foam is rotting away:

Top butted against the aluminum trim - no problem here but just wondering if this is the way it is supposed to be done.

Tiggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:04 AM   #2

That whole thing is a hack job.
They should not have just floored over the old decking boards.
They should have at least cut them off where they over hung the rim joist.
The walls should have been set out so they were even with the foundation and the sheathing should have been run at least an inch past the bottom plate so there was no air come in from outside.
The sheathing should have been installed so the whole starter cource of siding is even on all sides.
I end up using a self leveling lazer level to mark my line for the top of the sheathing.
Only riight way to fix what you have would be ro remove all the siding, cut off those deck board tails, pad the wall out, and sheath over what's there now. This time lowering it so the bottom of it is all even on all sides.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:23 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
That whole thing is a hack job.
I was afraid of this!

Is there anyway to fix it other than tearing it all out and starting over? My initial thought was to add J-channel to the bottom and cut a small piece of vinyl to fill the gap. Or add an additional single run of siding over the gap and slate flooring and end with a J-channel? I know very little about vinyl siding, so feel free to critique.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:09 PM   #4

Still would look like poop because the outside corners would be to short, all the siding would still be out of alignment in the corners.
What would you nail the J moulding to?
There should have been starter stip not J moulding at the bottom of the wall.
I see someone also tryed face nailing with a trim nail which should never be done on siding.
I bet they did not cut into the brick and install any flashing to seal up that joint where the siding and brick meet.

I just had to deal with everything your dealing and more with a job down the street from me.
I had all the same problums you have plus they had tryed to use a flat jamb window on one side so water had rotted out the whole wall, there was no nailers for the sheetrock in the corners, the 6' header over the door was never nailed in place, the long wall was sticking out 2" behond the foundation in the middle.
They had so many windows in one wall there was only 2 X 4's between the windows so there was no way to nail the nailing fin or seal them. Only had 2 X4's laying flat for a header on a 20' long roof.
They had the windows so close to the outside corners they had to cut the nailing fin off the outside corners.
Never used an inside corner where the addition met the main house and had just nailed the wall right to it and filled the gaps with expanding foam.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:53 PM   #5

Admittedly, I am somewhat concerned about what lies beneath the siding.

I am good working with metal. Could I use aluminum trim coil to cover the gap? Nail it under the vinyl (there is a starter strip there which I didn't realize before), bend where needed to go over the slate floor? I know I could make the bend look good. I'm not sure what I would do with the bottom of the trim at this point though - other than let it hang flush with the slab.