Vinyl Siding - Newbie Needs Some Help Planning - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

Old 07-12-2015, 12:43 PM   #1
Rewards Points: 4

Vinyl Siding - Newbie needs some help planning

Never have done vinyl siding before - Ultimately, my plan is to pull off the existing shake shingle siding and the old cedar clapboard siding beneath the shakes and install 3/8" fanfold than vinyl.

I'm just gathering some info now and putting together a plan. I have access to a metal break.

Two items that I'm having trouble with. My plan was to wrap all of my fascia board this year and get new gutters installed since I don't have the $$ currently to purchase all of the siding yet (and this brutal winter ripped off some of my gutters already). Should I install J-Channel first before putting up my fascia panel so next year I can slip the soffit panels into it? I see a lot of guys screw their new soffit panels to the fascia before wrapping in metal so it covers the ends of the soffit panel. Or would it be better to wrap my fascia board tight this year then install J-channel to the bottom side of the soffit just inside the fascia board? Looking for suggestions. Thanks

My second question is on my rake edges I have some wood crown moulding. What is the best way to wrap that in metal? I thought about taking it all off than nailing another fascia board up to the existing so it closes the gap at the drip edge along the top? (2nd picture is the my crown moulding)

Attached Thumbnails
Vinyl Siding -  Newbie needs some help planning-existing-siding-001.jpg   Vinyl Siding -  Newbie needs some help planning-existing-siding-004.jpg  

Trigger200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 03:17 PM   #2
Exterior Construction
Rewards Points: 7,476

Tough to get a crown-like bend on a brake.

Most guys fasten their soffit and use the fascia cap to wrap over the front, lower edge of the soffit and make J-channel/fascia wrap combo.

Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 10:10 PM   #3
Rewards Points: 6,700

Looks like a simple DIY job to save money until you try to do it.
Trim the windows wrong and there's going to be leaks.
Install in the wrong direction and you'll see every seam.

First thing I noticed is there's no location in your profile.
Second is I do not see any soffit venting, just solid plywood.
Going to be hard to do this piece meal, one thing effects another.
The right way would be to do the whole thing at one time.
I'd be removing that crown molding where that 1 X 6 meets the soffit.
Removing all that plywood covering the soffit area.
Removing the siding along at least that top row.
Wrapping the 1 X 6 with PVC coil stock, installing Cerenteed cove molding. Use that and you'll end up with the same look and not have to use two pieces of J.
It's made to fit tight againt the 1 X 6 and has a 1/2 track to slide in the soffit.
Install triple vent soffit.
Wrap fashia and crown shingle moulding, making sure it slipped in under the drip edging.
I punch the bent metal with a special punch that makes oval shaped small holes for trim nails in the 1-1/4 bend that covers up the soffit so there's no face nails showing.
There needs to be siding blocks any place outside faucets, wiring, cable or phone boxes are, if not the siding can buckle.
Siding nailed to tight, cut the wrong lenght depending on the temp. when installed will also buckle.
When posting in forums, letting us know your location will help others give better feedback/advice/solutions to your questions
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 08:09 AM   #4
Rewards Points: 1,578

I would drop my fascia wrap down enough to accommodate the future soffit panels toss a couple trim nails in up high and let the gutter install hold them up. Buy a piece of soffit to use as your spacer. Alternatively measure the width of your future soffit material and find a spacer out of scrap plywood. Before you do that pull any nails that are in the bottom of the fascia that are going in to the soffit. As joecaption said when you do the soffit later you want to pull all that wood out (and stick baffles in) so its a lot easier not to fight and cut nails covered by your fascia wrap.
Attached Thumbnails
Vinyl Siding -  Newbie needs some help planning-fascia-wrap.jpg  
Finally, he switched to a bone saw to finish the job, and at 9:17 p.m., Mountain time, the head of the greatest hitter who ever lived had been sliced off.
craig11152 is online now   Reply With Quote