Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-11-2014, 12:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Vinyl siding

We are having our garage vinyl sided (it's aluminum now) is there that much difference in .42 ( http://www.certainteed.com/products/...-siding/310104) and Carvedwood 44 by Mastic .44 vinyl ? The cost difference is about $300.

Wench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 02:23 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 754

Vinyl siding

There is about .02 difference.Math does not lie.I do tons of vinyl siding jobs and the thicker the better.Just depends on the price to you.When your out mowing or weedeating and throw a rock it will go thru any of them.As far as appearance the heavier will hold up better as long as they are installed properly.$300 on a whole building is not much of an issue for better quality iMHO.

mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 02:34 PM   #3

Vinyl siding

I knew the .44 was thicker but wasn't sure if .02 made much of a difference. The guy quoting the .44 pointed out that theirs was thicker, but I said it probably wouldn't make a difference if a lawnmower thru a rock and put a hole in it. He said he would give me a 50 year warranty on the siding and if a rock put a hole in it they would replace/fix it. I find that hard to believe, I think he said that so I would go with them????!!
Old 04-11-2014, 03:38 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Vinyl siding

Get him to put it in writing. Those kinds of guarantees are not something to ignore and a $300 difference isn't much when you're getting a better quality product and warranty.
fixrupr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:45 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,002

Vinyl siding

The .044 siding is a good middle of the road gauge. It should hold up well. As far as the rocks go. It's tougher in the summer when it's warm. Cold weather makes it more brittle and easier to damage. That being said, I have a stihl commercial weedeater that can throw pretty good sized rocks and in 22 years, I don't have any holes in the siding from rocks. Have the guy leave a few extra panels and tuck them up out of the way in the attic space in case anything should happen down the road. Very easy to repair, I do it all the time for customers. Seems like the last few years it hasn't been rocks so much, but gas grills too close to the siding and it melts.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:47 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 4,152

Vinyl siding

If you have a piece of the old siding on hand replacing a damaged piece is about a 15 min. job any DIY could do.
It would be rare for him to even still be in business in 50 years.
So that so called warranty is BS.
And yes thicker is always better.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 12:12 AM   #7

Vinyl siding

I figured he was blowing smoke up my a$$ with their warrenty, but they did offer a little better siding so we are going with them.

I'm glad to hear that it's an easy fix if something happens to one of the panels. I see our neighbors vinal garage is really tore up on the corners where he hit it with a weed whacker. It has also been hit in a few places on the panels but his goes all the way to the ground, we are leaving about 8 inches of foundation showing so that shouldn't be a problem.
Old 04-12-2014, 07:44 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 4,152

Vinyl siding

As he soon found why it's code in some places that the sheathing and siding should have been no closer then 6" to finished grade.
There is a way to go back and fix that and not have it happen again.
Removing that bottom row and replacing with vinyl lumber, add Z moulding, J moulding then the siding that had the bottom lap removed.
I've done it many times to prevent and or repair the damage.
A few times I've seen older .040 siding just develop holes that looked like it had been shot with a BB gun even on the second floor.
No matter what thickness the siding is it's all installed the same and takes the same amount of time to install. Just the material cost more.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote