Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-05-2011, 11:30 PM   #1

Share |

vinyl gutter parts good?

I just purchased parts for a small gutter system I want to set up, had a hard time finding galvanized parts, mostly found vinyl gutter parts, so I bought those. Is vinyl good for gutters? I figure it will not last as long, but it sure is easier to work with.

Thanks

darsunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 06:37 AM   #2

vinyl gutter parts good?

no run!!!! dont last at all will leak in no time

awdblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 05:11 PM   #3
RFN-4A-LVN

vinyl gutter parts good?

Depending on your location,winters are VERY hard on vinyl guttering.I have nothing really good to say about them.

We install 5" Aluminum seamless gutters and components.

A seamless aluminum gutter system will drain properly longer than a seamed system.Each joined section has its a own share of problems.

Aluminum will live much longer and will handle temperature changes better than vinyl.
Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 12:23 AM   #4

vinyl gutter parts good?

i agree. it does depend on the location. some vinyl gutter varieties, depending on thickness, get brittle in no time especially in extreme heat. if you have a thicker vinyl gutter then it's fine, especially with a gutter cover that will work with it.
pompidoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:48 AM   #5

vinyl gutter parts good?

PVC are more affordable compared to aluminum types. Those easy PVC gutter covers are light and easy to install and thatís why itís a favorite for DIY people. But you should also weigh in the cons of having PVC. It cracks in extreme cold and is more susceptible to rots compared to other types of gutter covers. It also easy to get snapped down by the test of time. But if you are going for effectiveness and quality, I strongly recommend you to aluminum made, solid-designed Hallet Cover Guard. They are way more durable and it works great.
jeffwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:13 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Grumpy Send a message via MSN to Grumpy Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy

vinyl gutter parts good?

Vinyl gutters from home depot or what ever home center are pretty much garbage in their design. If you have snow they don't last long at all. No flashing, water and ice backs up right behind them. Usually when I repalce vinyl gutters, there is alot of rotten wood to replace as well since the design of the vinyl gutters doesn't protect the fascia.

If we are talking about affordbale and talking about aluminum gutter like it's expensive... LOL. You get what you pay for.

Sometimes the savings that comes from doing it yourself can be blown away with one mistake.

The information found in this post is not to be considered legal advice. All information should be considered relative, not specific. Never attempt any repairs you are not comfortable with. Always maintain safety! The author of this post takes no responsibility for any losses that occur. Use at your own risk.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:20 PM   #7

vinyl gutter parts good?

I would be wary of leaning a ladder on vinyl gutters when it's cold outside. The direct sunlight (UV rays) and temperature extremes will make them brittle.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:38 PM   #8

vinyl gutter parts good?

They become brittle very quickly and offer limited to no support as stated previously, so unless you plan on doing the job over again with a better product, I would recommend that you reconsider to using seamless aluminum guttrers, .032 guage thickness along with 3" x 4" oversized downspouts.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 02:34 AM   #9

vinyl gutter parts good?

Before committing to having a vinyl rain gutter system, find out if it is appropriate for your climate. Although quite durable, extreme weather conditions will harm vinyl systems. Vinyl expands and contracts depending on the temperature but sometimes cracks in intense cold. Generally speaking, however, the flexibility prevents bending or warping.
packet04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 11:20 AM   #10

vinyl gutter parts good?

I agree. Vinyl gets cracked in extremely cold temperatures. I guess if it's the thicker variety it might be tougher than the cheaper ones.

pompidoi is offline   Reply With Quote