Victim Of Improper Roofing Installation. - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-05-2013, 03:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Angry

Victim of improper Roofing installation.

I need some advice. Hopefully this is the right place. My wife and I are the second owners of a home. That had an IB System Flat Roof Membrane (50 ml) put on over 8 years ago. Well over the next eight years everything was fine, and within 5 of those years my wife and I took over ownership of the house. However, within the last year and a half we've noticed leaking spots appearing above us on the drywall ceiling. And thought huh? I thought flat roofs were suppose to be leak free. This later lead to a lot more drywall damage. We also have a stack that comes out of the flat roof, that has caused leaking as well.

It turns out that our flat roof, which is the roof over our 4 seasons porch, and is an extension of the original house. Has had major water damage to the roof decking and insulation that sits below the IB roof system. I found this out because the original contractors who installed it came out and cut a hole to see what had happend.

Here's the dilema, we have no more installation warranties with them. And no material warranties. I called IB System and they felt it was due to improper installation.

So went back up on the roof to shoot this video:

And discovered that where the shingled roof slope meets with the flat roof. It has major transition issues. They some how installed the flashing above our first layer of shingles and below the second layer of shingles. So, I'm not sure what to do next? But, it's my opinion that they installed it improperly and should of put the flashing below both the two layers of shingles. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

The contractor's who did the original installation blame it on my shingled roof slope. Which keep in mind is bad and in need of ripping off and putting a new layer of shingles on. However, that part of our house has no leaking issues. The only water damage that has occurred is below the IB flat roof system.

So, any advice would be great. Sorry for the long post.
Thanks, Tony

Advertisement

tbirleffi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:52 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,524

It would be easier to actually post pictures of showing a large section of the roof, than a link to a video, that is a close up of what looks like someone playing with water for no reason.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:56 PM   #3

I was trying to show how the water was flowing underneath the flashing where the flat roof and sloped roof meet.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:58 PM   #4

See the photos of my roof attached. Sorry this form rotated them wrong.

Last edited by tbirleffi; 06-05-2013 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Photo's were screwed up
Old 06-05-2013, 04:10 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Need to repost those, so that they are not thumbnails, but so that we can click on them, and get a larger version of the picture.

Instead of really spending all of this time taking photos and posting videos, get some bids from roofers that know how to do the transition from peaked to flat roofing, and then go with the best offer, with the company that can do the job.

Just leaving it like it is, is not going to fix the problem, nor solve the issue of any leaks through the flashing, where it meets the two different roofing materials.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 06-05-2013, 04:34 PM   #6

Yeah, I understand that. And, I've been doing that. But should the contractor who did the original work be held accountable for what they did?
Old 06-05-2013, 05:03 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

How can they. The roof is over 8 years old for the membrane. As for the shingle roof, all we know is that the homeowner did it, and the flashing. Most warranties on roofing by contractors is usually no more than 12 months for workmanship, 24 months max if you are lucky.

It also looks like 3 maybe 4 layers of shingles, so that right there tells you that the whole mess needs to go and be redone properly.

If the roofing material and structure are not properly maintained, which also means proper ventilation in the attic spaces, no matter what the material on top is, it will break down over time.

Start interviewing contractors in your area, and if you want, contact the original one if they are still in business and see what they quote.

I use a small business owner, who's family has been in the construction business for over a hundred years. He only works at max with five maybe six guys on his team, and most jobs, he is the one doing the actual laying of the roofing felt & Grace rain & ice membrane, repairing of any sheathing, nailing down the shingles, or putting down the flat roofing material.

I personally only use small business owners for any work that I need done, and the two that I use all the time, came highly recommended through friends who have known them for years.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:46 PM   #8
Doing This Way Too Long

Rewards Points: 524

From what I can see your problem isn't the flatroof nor how it was installed. Your problem is you are in dire need of tearing off all those layers of toasted shingles and installing new. In that process you just need to make sure the contractor at that time does a proper tie-in from the PVC to the shingles.

As to your question about the previous install there is no way to, nor any reason for the contractor to attempt to run the transition under the bottom layer as that is no longer the current roof. No one is at fault, you just need a new roof. Sorry
OldNBroken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OldNBroken For This Useful Post:
jagans (06-06-2013)
Old 06-06-2013, 09:58 AM   #9
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,096

ONB Nailed it.

The fact that you have a residential low slope roof that has not leaked in 8 years is frankly, amazing to me. Most residential low slope roofs are screwed up by steep roofers that do not understand the difference between water shedding, and water proof.

You are not the "Victim" of anything, except the Noob that did the tie in.

This is probably one of those cases where the low slope roofer should have insisted on tearing off the adjoining slope before he would do the low slope area, but then the owner probably said:

"Well the other contractors said they could do it, so why cant you?"

Now I wonder who that was?

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:45 AM   #10
Doing This Way Too Long

Rewards Points: 524

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagans View Post

This is probably one of those cases where the low slope roofer should have insisted on tearing off the adjoining slope before he would do the low slope area, but then the owner probably said:

"Well the other contractors said they could do it, so why cant you?"
That is exactly what should have been done. Other than that it does not appear your topic title is accurate.

Advertisement

OldNBroken is offline   Reply With Quote