Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-08-2013, 05:37 PM   #1

Share |

vents and metal roof

On the North side of my house I have six roof vents about 1 to 2 feet down from the ridge cap.My currant roof is asphalt shingles.I am planning a new metal roof.If I cut out the decking at the ridge for venting i assume that i can do away with these vents and just lay metal over the holes.Yes or No?
ocsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:45 PM   #2
Doing This Way Too Long

vents and metal roof

Yes..
OldNBroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:54 PM   #3
Metal Roofing

vents and metal roof

You can do away with them but you should replace the sheathing, not put metal over them.

The ridge vent is great but will serve you no benifit unless you have proper intake also.
AndyWRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:09 PM   #4

vents and metal roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyWRS View Post
You can do away with them but you should replace the sheathing, not put metal over them.

The ridge vent is great but will serve you no benifit unless you have proper intake also.
There are two vents one on each end of my house would this be the intake you speak of? Im also planning on putting the metal over the existing layer of shingles so i will not be replacing the sheathing.I have been told this is acceptable.what do you think?
ocsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:54 PM   #5
Metal Roofing

vents and metal roof

Those would be the intake yes. If you have no soffit vents then your stuck with the gable type...they are not as effective as a continuous soffit vent in conjunction with a ridge vent though. If you have no soffit vents, then your limited to what you have unless you want / can fix the soffit issue.

What metal roof are you putting on?

It is always best to tear off. If it was my home i would tear off and anyone else installing metal would probably agree. You get a better installation, your not roofing over a problem...which you may or may not even know you have. You get the peice of mind knowing your new 50 yr roof was installed to a solid substrate and you have no termite damage or dryrot hiding under a go over.

It will be very costly to replace damaged sheathing, starter board and fascia after your new metal roof is installed. I did one last week and i am looking at another on Sat.

Last edited by AndyWRS; 05-09-2013 at 04:56 PM.
AndyWRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyWRS For This Useful Post:
ocsb (05-09-2013)
Old 05-13-2013, 07:58 AM   #6

vents and metal roof

Agree, plus your getting all that weight off of the roof not adding to it.
nightriderrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:19 PM   #7

vents and metal roof

Yeah putting metal over the existing roof just sounds unnecessary. I'd plug the holes first, personally...it's easy as pie if you use these: http://www.quarrix.com/products/roof...ez-plug-patch/

Also, if you're not sure if you have the right intake-to-output ventilation ratio, this will help: http://www.quarrix.com/help-support/...lanced-system/
jdoorn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jdoorn For This Useful Post:
ocsb (05-16-2013)