Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-16-2010, 01:19 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to chsitko Send a message via Yahoo to chsitko
Share |

Venting & Venting

This post is a mixture of a question regarding attic ventilation and also me venting as well.

So, my home was built in the mid 60's. They had wood soffits originally. At some point they put new aluminum siding on the house and placed new aluminum soffits over the wood soffits which were already in place, so there was basically 2 soffits on top of each other.

When we bought the house a 1 1/2 year ago they said the roof was "newer", but there is some serious wear issues. Based on what i read, i'm thinking it is poor ventilation. So i find the aluminum soffit which is perforated and start taking it down, surprise, solid wood behind it. Then a couple of panels over i find the ventilation hole which is covered by a solid aluminum panel.

Seems to be common sense, but i just want to verify that since the perforated panels don't align with the holes in the wood soffit, in essence there is little if any ventilation occurring. They were off by a good two feet.

Also, if using aluminum soffit, do you need to have the wood soffit still? Or can you just have the aluminum soffit in place?

Now for me venting, i have had 7 roofers out, and not a single one noticed the ventilation problem. One stuck his head in the attach and said, okay everything looks good!

chsitko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 08:12 PM   #2

Venting & Venting

Yes, you can remove the wood. May be easier to just cut an area out. The problem with the little holes or slots is the actual NFVA (net free venting area), you may need them on every piece, not every other or every third one. Figure your required vents: http://www.airvent.com/homeowner/pro...it-specs.shtml Find what you have per lineal foot: http://files.buildsite.com/dbderived...rived92755.pdf

Punch some numbers and ask again.......

Gary

Old 10-18-2010, 03:30 PM   #3

Venting & Venting

Chris,

As you discovered, out of the 7 contractors, thay are not really either educated or sincere about doing the job correctly, at least as far as the most important aspect of logevity goes, which is the inplementation of a properly balanced ventilation system, both for intake and exhaust ventilation.

It is a simple 1 minute testing function, which reveals the level of concealed venting flowage or blockage.

I usually bring along a pointy tipped scratch awl, just so I can poke intop the aluminum perforations of the soffid cladding material, just for that explicit reasoning.

Excessive heat build up in the attic not only increases the air-conditioning load on your home and your interior living comfort, but also hastens the premature degradion and break-down of the asphaltic based roofing shingles, along with the potewntial for oganic decay of wood products used for the roof deck sheathing.

Also, and of particular concern, is the increased potential for mold growth on the interior, due to a lack of properly eliminating the contained relative humidity contents from the attic structure, which may even migrate downwards into the recesses of the living quarters at it's worst case scenario.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 07:03 PM   #4

Venting & Venting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed the Roofer View Post
Chris,

As you discovered, out of the 7 contractors, thay are not really either educated or sincere about doing the job correctly, at least as far as the most important aspect of logevity goes, which is the inplementation of a properly balanced ventilation system, both for intake and exhaust ventilation.

It is a simple 1 minute testing function, which reveals the level of concealed venting flowage or blockage.

I usually bring along a pointy tipped scratch awl, just so I can poke intop the aluminum perforations of the soffid cladding material, just for that explicit reasoning.

Excessive heat build up in the attic not only increases the air-conditioning load on your home and your interior living comfort, but also hastens the premature degradion and break-down of the asphaltic based roofing shingles, along with the potewntial for oganic decay of wood products used for the roof deck sheathing.

Also, and of particular concern, is the increased potential for mold growth on the interior, due to a lack of properly eliminating the contained relative humidity contents from the attic structure, which may even migrate downwards into the recesses of the living quarters at it's worst case scenario.

Ed
ED,is that the Ed the roofer or an imposter?Don't see you around much anymore,hope all is well.Take care-John
johnk is offline   Reply With Quote