Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-02-2013, 09:42 PM   #1
Lord of Slums

Rewards Points: 570

venting a thin aluminum soffit

In a future post I will give a good deal of detail. For now, my question is how the heck can I cut a continuous vent into an aluminum soffit? No wood underneath. I am having a terrible time with ice damning. I do not know anything about the insulation, and I do not have a ridge vent. I did not want to put a circle vent into every bay. I did not want to put those 8 by 16 inch vents in. I was looking at these things called stealth soffits , but I did not want to replace the soffit either. I know how to add insulation, seal the air leaks ect, it is just that darn sofitt that is the problem. http://www.rollex.com/products/stealth-soffit

mj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:30 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,152

Post a picture of what you have now.
Is then no venting on the roof at all, not even a gable vent?
Not going to do any good to add soffit vents if there's not some form of venting at the peak of the roof. There would be no way for the hot moist air to get out.
Unless you have a cathedral ceiling there is no need to add vents in a every bay.
A gable vent on each end of the house or ridge vents will work fine.
Going to be a real pain to try and add continuous venting after the fact.
If the soffits are like most I've worked with before they may only be attached on the ends of each piece, some may not even be nailed.
Cut them in half to add the venting and there going to be falling down.
About the only easy DIY way I can think of to add the needed venting is with round snap in vents.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...reen&FORM=IGRE

You will also need to add baffles in the attic to keep the new insulation from blocking the air flow from the soffit vents.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:02 AM   #3
K&B Designer

Rewards Points: 250

It's a lot easier to replace it with vented soffit than waste the massive effort attempting to alter what's there. Adding the ridge vent and insulation baffles is the key to making it work though. Ventilation is a system that fails without all of the right components. It doesn't do any good to add one without the other allowing it to work correctly. It's like putting new spark plugs in a car that's out of gas.
joecaption (11-03-2013)