Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-23-2008, 04:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Venting: proximity of power fans

Is there a standard distance away from the vents that the power vent needs to be? We have a power fan installed on the roof, and two "mushroom" vents on a hipped roof. One of the contractors we've talked with re: a new roof told us the power fan is too close to one of them, so they'd remove the vent. The other two contractors said it doesn't make a difference: it's fine where it is. Which is it?? Thanks.

SG94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 04:32 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

The static air mushroom exhaust vents should all be removed.

If they stay in place, the Powered Attic Fan will use any of those, especially the neares one as an intake vent and bypass the true intake ventilation portals, which should be located at the lower recesses of the roof, as in the soffits or under the shingles by using the Smart Vent by DCI Products, Inc.

By keeping the mushroom vents in place, the ventilation flowage will be getting short-circuited and defeat its true beneficial purpose.

Ed

Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 07:15 PM   #3

Thank you, Ed. That helps me make my decision as to which contractor to hire. We do have the ventilation near the bottom of the roof (the eaves?).
Old 05-22-2008, 05:07 PM   #4

Well, I thought we knew which one to go with, but we ended up talking to a couple more companies. All agreed our power vent was too close to the mushroom vent. One suggested to move the pv further down the roof. Another said it's too close, but the ventilation still seems to be fine, so they'd leave it alone. The last one gave us two proposals: one to leave everything alone...the other to remove all mushroom vents and install a new pv, this one with a thermostat and humidistat. Also, remove mushroom vents on the garage and replace with a ridge vent. They said we didn't have enough ridge for a ridge vent on the house. (most of them told me that when I specifically asked about a ridge vent...it's a hip roof)

So, we selected the last contractor. However, I'm really having 2nd thoughts about taking out all the mushroom vents. When I look around our neighborhood, and also around new construction in the town, *everyone* has mushroom vents. Only a few have power vents, and those who do have them close to the mushroom vents. Not to say this is the right thing, but I want to make sure we'll be ok if we rip them all out.

It's very difficult to do something completely different when the roof seems to have served the house well for 18 years.

Thanks.
Old 05-22-2008, 06:22 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

New construction buiders and the roofers they hire know very little about doing things the proper way, especially in regards to ventilation.

You found one knowledgeable guy, so work with him.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 10:56 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via MSN to the roofing god

remove the mushroom/box vents so the power vent doesn`t use them for sources of air intake,thus shortcircuiting the proper venting from the soffit areas to the power vent

www.ADVANCEDROOFINGNEWYORK.com
the roofing god is offline   Reply With Quote