Venting Problem And Metal Roof - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-23-2010, 05:01 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

venting problem and metal roof

I have a house with 4:12 pitch and existing metal roof. I am about to replace with new metal roof; however, I cannot find a good way to add intake venting and possibly more outtake. There are large gable vents on east and west ends. No soffit access and no soffit intake vents. I am wondering if the gable ends can be turned into intake and put a ridge vent for outtake. Right now the winds howl through the small attic space from the west gable vent and the pressure sometimes opens high cupboard doors. I think the noise indicates that pressure needs to be changed. How to figure out??? I have researched intake venting for metal roof without soffit venting to no avail.

Advertisement

nona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 05:41 PM   #2

All of the metal roofing manufacturers that I work with have some sort of detail for venting the ridge. Check the mfg. websites and see if you can find what you need. I dont know what type of metal roofing you are looking at but you can see an example of a vented ridge here on detail D-6 http://www.aepspan.com/files/_DspanS...nstall8ADC.pdf

Without seeing the actual eave (pictures would be great!) , it is hard to figure a intake system. Metal Era makes some different kinds of intake systems designed for eaves. You can check them out here - http://www.metalera.com/ProductListing.aspx?id=408 There are a number of other methods but again, without knowing all the specifics of your project its kind of hard to say what would work best.

Advertisement

Luv2Roof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:52 AM   #3

Nona,
Luv2Roof is right, we do have a variety of different systems that might fit your needs. It's hard to make a good recommendation without knowing a bit more, but if you are struggling because you don't have much of an eave, you may want to look at our Hi-Perf Intake Vent. All of our Airflow products are engineered to the specific needs of the individual roof, so we can accommodate almost any NFA requirement. Our tech department will also help you calculate the amount of NFA needed for your project and help with design recommendations for both intake and exhaust. I'd encourage you to e-mail them (airflow@metalera.com) any drawings or photos you have along with the particulars on your project. Or if you prefer, our phone number is 800-558-2162. They really do an excellent job working things up to make sure you have a balanced system. Good luck!
MetalEra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 12:59 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 852

good to see manufacturers input on the boards
federer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 01:23 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,052

And it didn't relentlessly gag me........... lol.

Gary
Old 12-01-2010, 08:26 AM   #6

They are very useful federer. :D

Advertisement

rightnwrong is offline   Reply With Quote