Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-26-2011, 10:42 AM   #1
mem

Rewards Points: 154

Venting an Overhang?

I previously posted this over on the B & C forum and just thought some of you roofing mavens may lend your insight as well.

I am planning on enclosing my overhangs with vinyl soffit material. The house is 4x12 post and beam construction, on 8 foot centers, with cathedral ceilings throughout, 1/12 and 2/12 pitch. The original roof deck is 2x6 T&G, framed above that and filled with foam board. The roof is not ventilated.
The overhangs range from two to eight feet in width between the eight foot center beams. I am framing to box in the overhangs to about 9 inches deep and house some recessed lights. The new soffits will be parallel to the roof pitch. My question is wether it is recommended to use a vented soffit material or is it acceptable to box in these areas and create a dead air space with unvented vinyl.
I like the look of the InvisiVent soffit from Certainteed but prefer to use a 5 inch profile to mimic the underside of the original 2x6 T&G roof deck. Certainteed's product seems to be only available in a triple 3 1/3, and I can't seem to find a hidden vent vinyl soffit in a 5 inch profile anywhere, does anyone make such a beast? The 5 inch products I find are either solid or the unsightly fully perforated type."

If this sort of double post is frowned upon I apologize and will refrain from doing so in the future.

mem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 02:31 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 2,972

Venting an Overhang?

Doesn't really matter in this case. Roof venting is to allow for the removal of moisture from attic spaces. It is unlikely that the roof, soffit, overhang will be air tight and if it is not part of a conditioned space, there is no real necessity for venting. We do see scenarios where you want to vent to allow the sheathing to "breathe" but I doubt this will be an airtight assembly. There will be more than enough air movement.

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:46 AM   #3
mem

Venting an Overhang?

Thank WoW, you're probably right, I may be over-thinking this. I am most certain the area won't be airtight by any means, but will there be enough circulation to keep mold and rot at bay? I would just hate to do all this and end up with problems down the road.
Have you ever seen any hidden vent vinyl soffit material with a 5" profile? If I can find the product I want I'll use it, if not I may just roll the dice based on conventional wisdom.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:53 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Venting an Overhang?

If the top-side of the soffit is exposed to snow, you may get ice dams there, depends on if the roof insulation is enough for the added heat from the lights..... I would vent them to help keep the metal from rusting. Here are a few other tips from our sister-site; http://www.contractortalk.com/f72/so...ighting-50715/ And an earlier one from ours; Outdoor Soffit Lighting
Have you done any searches in the box at top of pages here?

Gary
Old 09-02-2011, 11:39 AM   #5
mem

Venting an Overhang?

The plans for the lights are for outdoor entertaining and relaxation, and perhaps to help the dogs find their way home, not so much for all night illumination.
The area above the overhangs has at least R-20 plus two inches of wood. I'm not overly concerned with ice dams, as I should have mentioned in my OP, the standing seam roof sheds sheets of ice and snow at the slightest hint of sunlight. The cans I'll use will be rated for damp locations, and the trims will be plastic. Do you think rust will be a factor anyways?
I have searched and searched--lots of info on soffit lighting, but not so much about the ventilation issue. I spent hours over at buildingscience.com and found not a single mention of this. Makes me think it really is a non-issue. Even still, my first instinct is to provide ventilation but I can't seem to find a vented soffit product that fits the bill (hidden vent w/ 5" profile).
As always Gary, thanks for your input. You are undoubtedly one of the most knowledgeable and respected voices on this forum.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:45 AM   #6
mem

Venting an Overhang?

Oops!

Last edited by mem; 09-02-2011 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Double post
Old 09-06-2011, 10:15 AM   #7
Exterior Construction

Venting an Overhang?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mem View Post
The plans for the lights are for outdoor entertaining and relaxation, and perhaps to help the dogs find their way home, not so much for all night illumination.
The area above the overhangs has at least R-20 plus two inches of wood. I'm not overly concerned with ice dams, as I should have mentioned in my OP, the standing seam roof sheds sheets of ice and snow at the slightest hint of sunlight. The cans I'll use will be rated for damp locations, and the trims will be plastic. Do you think rust will be a factor anyways?
I have searched and searched--lots of info on soffit lighting, but not so much about the ventilation issue. I spent hours over at buildingscience.com and found not a single mention of this. Makes me think it really is a non-issue. Even still, my first instinct is to provide ventilation but I can't seem to find a vented soffit product that fits the bill (hidden vent w/ 5" profile).
As always Gary, thanks for your input. You are undoubtedly one of the most knowledgeable and respected voices on this forum.
I don't think it is a necessity given the roof type (metal vs. aspalt) however, you could put in some sort of integrated vent and cover it by a trim detail of sorts and put in the proper board (i.e. look wise) that you want to use.

I would also add the fact that non-vented soffit is still not airtight by any means.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:23 AM   #8
mem

Venting an Overhang?

Yeah WoW, it's difficult enough to create an airtight barrier when you are actually trying, much less by happenstance!
Do you have any recommendation as to who's vinyl is a quality product in a 5" profile? I find many that claim to require only 24" framing, is that believable without sagging? Is thicker always better? I would imagine that rigidity would be more important than thickness. What do you think?
Old 09-07-2011, 10:35 AM   #9
Exterior Construction

Venting an Overhang?

The difference between overbuilding is always only a few cents on the dollar.

When it is your home, do it right and do it once.

Not sure who has a 5" profile.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:20 AM   #10
mem

Venting an Overhang?

So just frame it on 16's and sleep better--can't argue with that.

Just about everyone offers a double 5 profile-either solid or fully ventilated-just not with a hidden vent. Who's vinyl do you like?
Old 09-07-2011, 11:27 AM   #11
Exterior Construction

Venting an Overhang?

The Charter Oak soffit (Alside) is nice as is the Mastic stuff.