Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-11-2008, 06:20 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Venting a new Shed

I'm building a BrewShed to house all my homebrew equipment and have a neat place to enjoy life while enjoying craft beer.

I need to complete the soffits and vent the shed. It will have an attic that will be insulated. I will probably use rolled batting as I don't want it covering the soffit vents. Anyway, the roof is 26' long by 12' wide.

Any recommendations on installing a ridge vent and soffit vents? How much?

Here's some pics. It does not have shingles yet. Just foil backed OSB so far. I'm lucky to have found a tarp to fit the whole roof for now.

Thanks!

Ed

TexEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 10:34 PM   #2

Venting a new Shed

A ridge vent alone won't cut it, nor would soffit vents alone. The combination of the two achieves CROSS-VENTILATION, or airflow through the attic. The whole idea is to keep the attic as close to the outside temperature as possible.

You can buy plastic or foam baffles that apply between the rafters above your soffit vents. They'll maintain a path for the airflow even though you're insulating the ceiling.

Actually, Norbord recommends the baffles to maintain an airspace between ALL insulation and the foil face on the solar board. They don't want insulation touching the foil...I'm assuming due to potential for condensation? You should install baffles at every rafter space.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 10:54 PM   #3

Venting a new Shed

Hello,

Judging from your pictures the ridge vent cut out is too large. 1 1/2 to 2" on each side of the roof is plenty. Thekctermite described how I would do the venting also.

Keith
roofboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 07:22 AM   #4

Venting a new Shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
A ridge vent alone won't cut it, nor would soffit vents alone. The combination of the two achieves CROSS-VENTILATION, or airflow through the attic. The whole idea is to keep the attic as close to the outside temperature as possible.

You can buy plastic or foam baffles that apply between the rafters above your soffit vents. They'll maintain a path for the airflow even though you're insulating the ceiling.

Actually, Norbord recommends the baffles to maintain an airspace between ALL insulation and the foil face on the solar board. They don't want insulation touching the foil...I'm assuming due to potential for condensation? You should install baffles at every rafter space.
I'm going to insulate above the drywall ceiling, not between the rafters on the roof, so there will be open space between the foil on the Norbord and insulation between he horizontal 2x4's.

After reviewing this forum, it looks like Ed the Roofer likes The Edge Vents from AirVent with a ridge vent. That would keep my soffitts solid and I would be able to blow insulation in without worrying about clogging the soffit vents.

Are the Edge vents difficult to install? Thanks.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:24 AM   #5

Venting a new Shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by roofboy View Post
Hello,

Judging from your pictures the ridge vent cut out is too large. 1 1/2 to 2" on each side of the roof is plenty. Thekctermite described how I would do the venting also.
That pic was before I finished the roof. I now have to cut the 1 1/2" on each side. Thanks.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:46 PM   #6

Venting a new Shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexEd View Post

After reviewing this forum, it looks like Ed the Roofer likes The Edge Vents from AirVent with a ridge vent. That would keep my soffitts solid and I would be able to blow insulation in without worrying about clogging the soffit vents.

Are the Edge vents difficult to install? Thanks.
You misquoted me. I recently referred to "TheEdge" Intake vent manufactured by Air Vent Corp., but since it was just released and I have not had the opportunity to work with it, I could not give you first hand experience.

If this product is like the other finely engineered products from Air Vent, I do not doubt that it will grade out highly.

I OFTEN refer to the Shingle Vent II Ridge Vent made by Air Vent and also, just as frequently have referred to the SMART VENT made by DCI Products, Inc.

I have 6 + years of hands on experience with the Smart Vent and strongly recommend the product as a unique and cost efficient solution to lower and mid-roof intake ventilation problems. It is pretty easy to install and not out of line in pricing.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 10:09 PM   #7

Venting a new Shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed the Roofer View Post
You misquoted me. I recently referred to "TheEdge" Intake vent manufactured by Air Vent Corp., but since it was just released and I have not had the opportunity to work with it, I could not give you first hand experience.Ed
Whoops. I'm sorry about that.

It seems that both are similar in concept which will allow me to have insulation blown in without the worry of blocking soffit vents.

Any place near Austin, TX that sells the SmartVent?

Thanks for all your helpful responses to questions. I've been lurking a while and learned quite a bit in a short while.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:41 PM   #8

Venting a new Shed

Here is the links page from DCI Products to find out which supply houses carry their product or can special order it.

http://www.dciproducts.com/html/links.htm

Ed

Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote