Venting An Existing Shed Type Roof. - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-17-2010, 11:03 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

venting an existing shed type roof.

I have a shed type lean-to roof that attaches to the back of my house. The room has always been there but I want to finish it now and insulate the rafters and sheetrock. The house was built in the 30s with solid soffit. I can vent them and leave the insulation gaps but how do i vent the top?? I have seen the hal ridge vent style vents but I would really rather not get into that if avoidable.

I was thinking I could just put a passive vent on the roof but will that allow proper flow. The roof slopes 2 in 12 and the main roof overhangs the top about 18 inches.

Also the rafters are sealed in between at the wall so after venting the soffit would drilling some holes in the boards between the rafters be enough flow??? also the same issue at the top. How do i get that side to side air flow?

Its a 90 sq ft room with 3 exterior wall and its just a laundry room so the heat in winter will never be more than 60 at the most and no AC in summer.

I really appreciate it.

Advertisement

organick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 06:57 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

I have had good success with the variety of ventilation products manufactured by DCI Products, Inc., called Smart Vent.

Here is the shed roof application link:

http://www.dciproducts.com/html/shedroof.htm

And here is the link to the Rafter Vent, if you are able to remove the decking at a time of re-roofing.

http://www.dciproducts.com/html/raftervent.htm

Ed

Advertisement

Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 10:05 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

Thanks for the info ed. I have seen the smart vent before. I am not re-roofing this at all right now though. Just finishing the inside and need to vent the roof. I am drywalling onto the rafters. I want to do what I can now.
organick is offline   Reply With Quote