Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-30-2007, 07:37 PM   #1

Share |

Ventilation questions on older home

Hi all, have a question of ventilation. Our house is a 1.5 story 1160sqft house built in 1955. The previous owners had insulation installed directly on to the roof of the house and used the crawl spaces as storage. They later ripped it all down as it was all damaged from condensation. There is no soffit ventilation as the space between the rafters/wall are sealed with boards and they installed newer aluminuim perforated soffits over top of the old solid plywood. I am going to insulated the floors in the crawl spaces, and put 2" insulation board in the space between the ceiling of the upstairs room and the roof to leave 1.5" for air to flow to the top attic and out.
Now, do I have to remove the new soffits to cut out the plywood and removed the boards sealing the rafters or can I install gable end vents on either side of the crawl spaces? The top attic has 2 gable end vents (face east/west) and 1 roof vent (north) installed. The south side crawl space has a peak with a small vent as well. Each crawl space is 6.5ft x 28ft and the top attic is 7ft x 28ft.

Thank you for any assistance.

Attached Thumbnails
Ventilation questions on older home-northside.jpg   Ventilation questions on older home-southside.jpg   Ventilation questions on older home-westside.jpg   Ventilation questions on older home-eastside.jpg  
ademero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 06:47 AM   #2

The gable vents would be worthless for your problem since the insulation will still be sealing the individual rafter bays.

If you intend on putting on a new roof in the near future, you can install the Smart Vent manufactured by DCI Products Inc., for proper and continuous intake ventilation along 100 % of the eave edges.

If you are not planning on installing a new roof soon, then yes you will have to remove the perforated soffit panels, cut out the entire wood soffit and then reinstall the aluminum vented panels. (Lavel them by number when you remove them, so they go back where they came from.)

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 02:15 PM   #3

Thank you for replying. My thoughts with the gable vents were to install them just above the insulation in the crawl spaces, the air would come in the crawl spaces, then flow in that 1.5" between the insulation and the roof in the trusses and out the top attic gable vents/roof vent. Or the flow would not be very equal? I'm being lazy, was trying to get around having to pull all the soffits and cutting out the plywood hehe.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:17 PM   #4

I think I understand what you are hoping for, but I do not believe that the air flow dynamics would actually take the route you are suggesting.

At least I give you credit for being honest about why you don't want to remove the soffit panels and cut out the soffit wood.

That is a dirty job to cut out wood while your head is underneath, so if you do that, use good eye protection for all of the sawdust and wood chips and dirt that will be falling down.

Ed
Old 10-02-2007, 08:04 AM   #5

Looks like I have a project for this weekend heheh. Thanks for the help.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:15 PM   #6

Several weekends at least.

2 A-frame ladders with a double 2" X 12" to spanned between them to stand on will allow better movement and reduce the amount of time to do the job.

Ed