DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

ventilation question when putting on new roofing

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  joecaption 
#1 ·
I am putting on new dimensional style roofing on a 4/12 roof pitch. My contractor wants to install ridge vent.
I am confused by what I have read on this site. My house has gable end vents 12" x 20" one on each end. I have perforated soffit on 12" overhangs only on the gable ends of my house, no soffit or overhang on the front and back of my house. Should the contractor put in the ridge vent. I live in Southern Illinois and my attic gets very hot in the summer. The house I built 30 years ago and I have put on two roofs both three tab style and the roofing has curled in some areas of the roof. Please help this little lady out, I need advice and not about sealing up my attic please. My husband is an auto mechanic and hates house stuff with a passion.

#2 ·
Let him add the ridge vent. It will help vent the whole roof not just the two ends.
There are ways to also add soffit vents that would help make that roof last far longer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.