Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-15-2010, 10:02 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Ventilation

I have an older 1950's era contemporary house in the mid-Atlantic part of the country. It has a sloped 3/12 pitched roof that is tar and pea gravel covered. The interior of the house has cathedral ceilings with exposed tongue and groove wood boards. From what I know the tar and gravel roof is over a layer of unknown insulation and there is a vapor barrier of some sort directly over the exposed tongue and groove boards. There is no attic. I have lived there for two years and the roof is probably 4-6 years old.

We had a very cold and snowy winter this year. On two different occasions, I had instances of water dripping inside the house from the tongue and groove board ceilings in several different locations. There was no snow on the roof at the time and it was not raining. The last instance was a day in February. The dripping has not occurred since. I see no signs of any moisture. I have had no dripping when there was melting snow on the roof or rain. This has never happened in past years either.

A roofing contractor inspected the roof and told me that everything looked fine and he didnít see any bad spots in the roof. He indicated that I may need vents?

I have one vent in a laundry room/furnace room that is directly above the furnace that vents outside.

Any recommendations on what to do next?

pschmitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 12:01 PM   #2
Commercial Roofing

Rewards Points: 500

Ventilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pschmitt View Post
I have an older 1950's era contemporary house in the mid-Atlantic part of the country. It has a sloped 3/12 pitched roof that is tar and pea gravel covered. The interior of the house has cathedral ceilings with exposed tongue and groove wood boards. From what I know the tar and gravel roof is over a layer of unknown insulation and there is a vapor barrier of some sort directly over the exposed tongue and groove boards. There is no attic. I have lived there for two years and the roof is probably 4-6 years old.

We had a very cold and snowy winter this year. On two different occasions, I had instances of water dripping inside the house from the tongue and groove board ceilings in several different locations. There was no snow on the roof at the time and it was not raining. The last instance was a day in February. The dripping has not occurred since. I see no signs of any moisture. I have had no dripping when there was melting snow on the roof or rain. This has never happened in past years either.

A roofing contractor inspected the roof and told me that everything looked fine and he didnít see any bad spots in the roof. He indicated that I may need vents?

I have one vent in a laundry room/furnace room that is directly above the furnace that vents outside.

Any recommendations on what to do next?
Sounds like you're having condensation issues. I say this because you stated no snow, no rain, and its dripping, and no dripping with snow melt.

I say find the source of moisture, and fix it, as well as add insulation to the roof.

Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 05:32 PM   #3
Shut in w/o Home

Rewards Points: 500

Ventilation

Sounds like a tough/impossible one to vent. From the info given, I second "more insulation".
seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
condensation, flat roof, ventilation