Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-20-2010, 05:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Vented drip edge - starter vent

We replaced our roof in '04 and the roofer elected to install Lomanco SV-10 starter vent, rather than penetrate the stucco soffit for venting. Now I need to replace the gutters. I'm concerned about snow build-up blocking air flow and water intrusion (I live in Columbus OH). What is the best approach, short of ripping out the starter vents. The roof is GAF Timberline lifetime.
I'm wondering if I can mount the gutters on 2X4 blocks so air will flow behind them. That could solve snow blocking, but I'm left with the question of water intrusion. What are my options?

Thanks for your attention.

jttucker3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 07:50 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Vented drip edge - starter vent

I used to use a similar version to the Lomanco product that was manufactured by Air Vent, but when I discovered the Smart Vent by DCI Products Inc., I switched to using that exclusively precisely due to your current concerns.

Rather than bumping out the existing gutter troughs, I would suggest lowering the elevation if you have enough fascia height to do so.

Another alternative, although I dislike the even minimal fire hazard, is to install an electrically heated gutter tape/cable throughout your guttering system and downspouts to prevent or at least minimize the ice build up.

I do not actually think that you will get leakage from the Lomanco vent, but I definitely could see the intake vent slots getting blocked as they are now from your description.

Ed

Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ice dam, starter vent, vented drip edge, water intrusion