Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-11-2013, 07:00 PM   #1

Share |

Vented drip edge installed instead of the edge vent

The contract says roof top vent 3 feet from edge but no brand was specified. The next day I thought 3 feet from edge is more noticeable than those installed lower. I said I'd like it to be less noticeable and told them both smart vent and the edge vent can be installed 6' from edge and passed the ice dam test. The roofer sales suggested the edge vent.

But he really meant was the vented drip edge. After the roof is done and before the last payment, I found it out. Now the roofer sales says it will work and suggested me to try one winter. He would write a personal warranty that if I don't like it he will replace it at no cost to me. I have 5 to 6 inches soffit so he thinks water will not backup into soffit. I am concerned that in the winter the gutter will be full of ice and snow and that can block the vent. The holes of the drip edge vent are about 3/4 inch higher than gutter edge. I live in Massachusetts.

How much longer the vent will be blocked in winter than the edge vent/Smart vent?

Last edited by User123; 07-19-2013 at 06:45 PM.
User123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:06 PM   #2

Why would you have used that style vent instead of soffit vents?
Can you post a picture of the roof?

Old 07-11-2013, 07:19 PM   #3

He said taking down the gutter to install continuous vent and put back the gutter is more expensive. I didn't ask him how much but other roofer said it is too much too.
Attached Thumbnails
Vented drip edge installed instead of the edge vent-roof1.jpg  
Old 07-11-2013, 07:27 PM   #4

No way would I personally have ever installed that style vent on that style roof.
Your correct as the snow melts there going to get covered up and the ice dams will start to form.
Are you sure you do not already have vented soffits?
Removing those gutters and removing the fascia coil stock so the old soffits could be removed and replaced with vented soffits would not have take much longer then installing the wrong vents.
And just the material cost difference would have made up for the extra time involved.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:35 PM   #5

I don't think I have vented soffits unless it was covered by the short aluminum (or vinyl?) pieces. I'll check.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:39 PM   #6

Maybe I'll ask him how much I need to add for him to install the soffit vents and block the vented drip edge.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:49 PM   #7

Is it easy to remove the vented drip edge? It sticks outside a couple of inches
Old 07-12-2013, 11:47 AM   #8

The roofer saw that the front has gutter helmet on it and thinks snow will not fall into the gutter. He offered to buy me gutter helmet and put on the back. Since the gutter is 4" deep it will not be blocked during the winter. Will it work?

Last edited by User123; 07-12-2013 at 12:15 PM.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:39 PM   #9

They installed the gutter helmet incorrectly. It went under the first course of shingle. The same gutter helmet used to be under the second course of shingle. So the gutter did not collect any water when it was raining.

I had them remove the gutter helmet. After they removed the helmet, I saw a line of black/gray glue on the aluminum helmet. Is the glue from the shingle? They took the helmet away and I didn't take a picture. Will this cause problems? The roof was installed 11 days ago.