Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-22-2010, 03:32 PM   #1
Knows everything but that

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Vent Stack

So as in another post, im remodeling my upstairs bathroom. The drain/vent stack goes straight out the roof. However, its not really held up by anything other than the pressure from the pipe below. It looks sealed from the outside but there is some signs of wood rot around the opening. Anyway, should the pipe be able to be lifted straight out of the roof or should it be secured in some way? Also, should I look into resealing it or is it normal for, after 30 years, some signs of moisture to be present in the wood. THanks!

Shane

JakAHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 07:33 PM   #2

Vent Stack

So I asked this over in the roofing section but perhaps it was the wrong spot because Ive had lots of views but no replies.

So as in another post, im remodeling my upstairs bathroom. The drain/vent stack goes straight out the roof. However, its not really held up by anything other than the pressure from the pipe below. It looks sealed from the outside but there is some signs of wood rot around the opening. Anyway, should the pipe be able to be lifted straight out of the roof or should it be secured in some way? Also, should I look into resealing it or is it normal for, after 30 years, some signs of moisture to be present in the wood. THanks!

Shane

Old 04-22-2010, 08:35 PM   #3

Vent Stack

I can answer part of this question. All signe of moisture or wood rot should be addressed regardless of age. It will not get better, only worse.
Jim F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:59 PM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 100

Vent Stack

You failed to mention what type of pipe--iron or PVC---

With PVC a vent stack boot is all that is used to keep out the rain--Kind of looks like a square brimmed rubber hat with a hole in the top. If there is signs of water leaking see of the rubber is cracked or the 'brim' has pulled up from the shingles.

With iron--the stack boot is made of lead--it is slipped over the iron stack --laced into the shingles and the top of the lead sleeve is folded into the top of the vent.

---Mike---
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:14 AM   #5

Vent Stack

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
You failed to mention what type of pipe--iron or PVC---

With PVC a vent stack boot is all that is used to keep out the rain--Kind of looks like a square brimmed rubber hat with a hole in the top. If there is signs of water leaking see of the rubber is cracked or the 'brim' has pulled up from the shingles.

With iron--the stack boot is made of lead--it is slipped over the iron stack --laced into the shingles and the top of the lead sleeve is folded into the top of the vent.

---Mike---
Thanks Mike. The pipe is iron currently. I dont mind it being PVC since the iron one is terrible rusty. How har would it be to convert to PVC? The portion that is iron is only about 6 feet long before they updated the plumbing to PVC.

Shane
Old 04-23-2010, 05:05 PM   #6
Commercial Roofing

Vent Stack

I agree with Jim.
Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 06:48 PM   #7
DIY staff

Vent Stack

You will need to go up on the roof to install the boot. That is the most difficult part--you will need to remove the old lead boot--carefully lift the shingles- pull the nails holding the old boot--

install the new pvc vent pipe and install the new rubber boot.

If the shingles are old and brittle--this can be a bit risky--if your shingles are relatively new it's a fairly simple task.

---Mike---
Old 04-23-2010, 07:22 PM   #8
DIY staff

Vent Stack

Moderators---please merge this post with his other one on the same subject--Thanks -Mike-
The Following User Says Thank You to oh'mike For This Useful Post:
JakAHearts (04-23-2010)
Old 04-23-2010, 09:22 PM   #9
Commercial Roofing

Vent Stack

What section would that be in?
Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
Old 04-23-2010, 09:48 PM   #10

Vent Stack

Its in plumbing. Thanks!
Old 04-23-2010, 10:47 PM   #11
Commercial Roofing

Vent Stack

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Moderators---please merge this post with his other one on the same subject--Thanks -Mike-
Well why not let it be here, too, since we are talking about the roof now, too?
Old 04-24-2010, 08:51 AM   #12
Military Mom of 4

Vent Stack

If you replaced it with PVC you'd have to cut the pipe somewhere (under the house, in the wall - depends on whether you're on a slab or not, duplex, etc) and use flexible coupling to attach it. Like so: http://www.fernco.com/plumbing/flexible-couplings
These flexible couplings are made to join old gauge pipe to new gauge pipe. Different materials have different diameters - or older pipes are smaller/bigger than newer pipes of the same material for a variety of reasons.

If, however, this is the only pipe in your house that is metal - and everything else is modern pvc - then you can remove the metal completely and replace the whole length with matching pvc using pvc cement.

(note - the clamps on the couplings can be tightened with a screwdriver or a socket - it's easier to use a socket as how most of these are only cut for a flat head)

Last edited by Snav; 04-24-2010 at 08:55 AM.
Snav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:38 AM   #13

Vent Stack

Im having trouble finding a vent stack seal that will fit for 3" PVC. Are there specific ones for PVC sizes or do I have to cut it myself? Thanks

Shane
Old 04-26-2010, 07:57 PM   #14
Military Mom of 4

Vent Stack

Can you find it for 4"?
You can put an expander on it (3" to 4") and cap that - a bit hob nob but it'll work just the same.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:46 PM   #15

Vent Stack

Actually, the 3' pvc is too large to fit through the hole and when I opened the hole to the larger opening, the hole was much too large but 4" pvc was not also too big to fit through the new hole.

Shane