Vent Pipe Installation - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-17-2010, 11:04 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Vent Pipe installation

I have no vent pipe on my roof, and I would like to install maybe 1 or 2.
I have a split lvl, with cathedral ceiling.
I have no experience with roofing but I am pretty handy.
Am I better off asking a pro to install all this or is this easyly doable by ourselves?
If so, where should I start at?
I know this isnt anything very specific, but this is the first bit of information I am trying to find before getting into this for real!

Advertisement

FwoGiZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 11:12 AM   #2
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Vent Pipe installation

Always best to ask BEFORE we screw it up, right? Yes, it's easily a DIY project, and you're in the right place to get assistance at any and all stages of the process. But..... why a new pipe? Where do you vent now, if this a plumbing vent? Or are you talking about a roof vent for heat transfer?

DM

Advertisement

Old 07-17-2010, 11:21 AM   #3

Vent Pipe installation

indeed, better ask before screwing up, specially when we re talkin roof eh?
A new pipe, because I have NONE!! I am the only house owner on the street without one... my house if 13yo. I only have those vent on the side of the house, which prolly aren't half close to the efficiency of a real good vent pipe, right? I do want the thing to transfer the heat, to help with lifespan of the roof.
My father used to tell me about "Maximum chimney or vent or fan" not too sure... Anyhow, the thing that starts rotating when it's hot outside, to evacuate hot air!
Thanks a lot for ULTRA fast response
Old 07-17-2010, 11:59 AM   #4
the Musigician

Vent Pipe installation

If it's just venting the attic space, there are many ways to go about it, and some require no holes in the roof!
Personally, I'm seriously considering 2 solar powered fans, one on each end of my gables. (One blowing in, the other out) The hotter the sun, the faster the fan moves the air out! Po) Some of the guys here have problems with the mushroom shaped twirly vents you're talking about, but I'll let them tell you why. Lots of ways to go! I have a full length ridge vent and soffits, but I'd still like to have (free powered) fans moving that hot air out as well.

DM
Old 07-17-2010, 12:15 PM   #5
Shut in w/o Home

Rewards Points: 500

Vent Pipe installation

Vent pipe for what?
seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 01:01 PM   #6

Vent Pipe installation

Well I guess the system you need, really depends on where you live. I think a solar thingy might be a bit overkill... I live in Quebec and we only get like 2 monthes of high temperature.

The "pipe vent" (not even sure if it is the right term) is to evacuate hot air from in between roof and ceiling (attic right?) so that the roof has a longer lifespan.

My attic kind of is in 2 part; the cathedral part (which is a lot smaller right) is lower than the other bigger standard part.
Do you guys think I should put 2 of those? Or only 1 in the higher standard part would be enough?

Tell me if this procedure would make sense:
I would buy the Maximum vent thingy, some asphalte shingle, potty to seal all this up.
Then I could choose a spot, tear all the shingle, cut a hole, put the vent, seal, reput some shingle?
Is it really as easy as this?

Thanks
Old 07-17-2010, 01:19 PM   #7
the Musigician

Vent Pipe installation

For what you want, that's pretty close to it!

DM
Old 07-17-2010, 02:26 PM   #8
Handyman

Rewards Points: 500

Vent Pipe installation

I like the solar power fan idea DM...too bad I just did my roof

I have a 3-hip roof and I put in 5 vents. I had the spinning vent and took it down. As I said, I just did my roof last weekend, HOT, MUGGY and humid!! No wind whatsoever and it it didn't turn at all, so I tossed it.

The other thing I found out was that the soffit vents were covered with insulation. All the vents in the world wouldn't have helped.
canadaclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 02:45 PM   #9
the Musigician

Vent Pipe installation

I plan on mounting the fans high on my gable end walls, below the roof. The solar panels will be attached to the roof surface. No holes, just goop.

DM

Advertisement