Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-20-2012, 10:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Is this vent going to be a leaker (pics)?

Basic summary:

I just installed an attic-mounted powered roof vent, trying to follow a video from This Old House

My installation was very similar, except the fan isn't solar. Of course it wasn't until after I installed it that I saw Tinner's website with photos and explanations on how to install this type of vent. Now I'm worried, because maybe I should have left another layer of shingles below the vent, revealing more flashing above. In the This Old House video, they installed the vent with about the same percentage of flashing on top of the shingles. I used a sealant around the circumference of the hole, just like he did in the video.

Here are the pics:

Tinner...anyone...Is this a good enough install to prevent a leak? Or is it so bad that I should preemptively redo it so there's another layer of shingles below the flashing?

FYI, this part of the roof faces East, so I'm thinking wind-driven rain shouldn't be as much of a concern where we live.

maxforwardspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:18 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,944

Looks like you did a great job.

Where's the sewer gas vents on that roof?
They may just have been out of frame.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Looks like you did a great job.

Where's the sewer gas vents on that roof?
They may just have been out of frame.
Thanks Joe, the plumbing vents are on the other side, out of the frame. So, 1 vote for no leaks?
Old 11-21-2012, 12:33 AM   #4
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 2,420

Looks good here too.

Shingles don't look great where there are cracked but the install looks decent (for 1:30AM and on an 18 hour day).
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:03 AM   #5
Pro Slate Roofer

Rewards Points: 1,016

Looks good, but it depends on one thing. Those first two shingles on top of the vent. Did you taper their tops away from the vent? If so, you're good. If they're cut nice and neat and following the curve, the tops will likely catch water and run it across the roof and a leak will develop.
(That is a common mistake made by 'pros' and rookies alike.)
Just go back to my page and notice the square cuts as opposed to rounded cuts.
tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
Looks good here too.

Shingles don't look great where there are cracked but the install looks decent (for 1:30AM and on an 18 hour day).
Hah! Well, my bad on the cracked shingles. I had a hard time getting the seals to break.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinner666 View Post
Looks good, but it depends on one thing. Those first two shingles on top of the vent. Did you taper their tops away from the vent? If so, you're good. If they're cut nice and neat and following the curve, the tops will likely catch water and run it across the roof and a leak will develop.
(That is a common mistake made by 'pros' and rookies alike.)
Just go back to my page and notice the square cuts as opposed to rounded cuts.
Thanks Frank, I want to make sure I know what you mean by "tapered" because I checked your site and am a little confused. Do you mean hold the knife at an angle so that the shingle on top is cut so that the one beneath is further from the hole? I made sure to avoid cutting the shingles to a point, but I don't think that's what you mean.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:44 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 158

It looks like a decent install, but I would block out the static vents if your going to use the powered. It can suck air right through the static vent, making both useless. Easy enough to block out from inside if you don't want to remove it, replace the wood etc.
PatChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:01 PM   #9
RFN-4A-LVN

Rewards Points: 500

Looks decent,.Hopefully you cut your points out from the shingles (second and possibly 3rd course up the side of the vent)as they meet the back of the vent/flashing.Not doing so can trap debris.Kinda like a closed cut laced valley.Not cutting those points can trap debris causing the valley to leak over time.

Just curious tho.,.You dinged your roof vent during the power vent installation didn't you. Hahahaha be honest hahahahaha

Sorry Tinner.,.Didn't see you posted about the points/taper.

Last edited by Roofmaster417; 11-21-2012 at 10:11 PM.
Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatChap View Post
It looks like a decent install, but I would block out the static vents if your going to use the powered. It can suck air right through the static vent, making both useless. Easy enough to block out from inside if you don't want to remove it, replace the wood etc.
Thanks Pat, I was wondering about that. I'll block those off. I just have to hope that the soffit intakes will be enough to prevent my gas water heater from back drafting!
Old 11-21-2012, 10:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roofmaster417 View Post
Looks decent,.Hopefully you cut your points out from the shingles (second and possibly 3rd course up the side of the vent)as they meet the back of the vent/flashing.Not doing so can trap debris.Kinda like a closed cut laced valley.Not cutting those points can trap debris causing the valley to leak over time.

Just curious tho.,.You dinged your roof vent during the power vent installation didn't you. Hahahaha be honest hahahahaha

Sorry Tinner.,.Didn't see you posted about the points/taper.
There was only one shingle on the second course that was going to come to a point, so I cut that square. Is that what you also refer to as "tapered?"
Old 11-22-2012, 12:16 AM   #12
RFN-4A-LVN

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxforwardspeed View Post
There was only one shingle on the second course that was going to come to a point, so I cut that square. Is that what you also refer to as "tapered?"
Yes,..
Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:36 PM   #13
Pro Slate Roofer

"There was only one shingle on the second course that was going to come to a point, so I cut that square. Is that what you also refer to as "tapered?"
The one that could have been rounded? You did good.

How about the first course that 'could' have been cut square? That first one HAS to be tapered away from the vent, or else the top of it will catch water and leak. I taper them 'from where the unexposed part starts, to near where the top of the shingle meets the edge of the metal, about 1/2" of shingle left on the metal when I finish the cut. About a 20 degree cut, I think. Call either number if I didn't explain it well.

Last edited by tinner666; 11-25-2012 at 06:18 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:26 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinner666 View Post
"There was only one shingle on the second course that was going to come to a point, so I cut that square. Is that what you also refer to as "tapered?"
The one that could have been rounded? You did good.

How about the first course that 'could' have been cut square? That first one HAS to be tapered away from the vent, or else the top of it will catch water and leak. I taper them 'from where the unexposed part starts, to near where the top of the shingle meets the edge of the metal, about 1/2" of shingle left on the metal when I finish the cut. About a 20 degree cut, I think. Call either number if I didn't explain it well.
Hey Frank, I wasn't 100% sure on what you meant by the taper cut, and I'm sure I didn't do anything to the first course other than what you can see in the photo. Is this photo a good example of the "taper" cut that I should have done?
The red line is the cut shape for the first course and the green line for the second.

Sorry, but I'm having a hard time picturing the taper cut you are referring to. Thanks.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:54 PM   #15
Pro Slate Roofer

No cuts where the red line is. The first shingle would be cut straight, like it is, UNTIL you get to where the green line starts. Then, it gets tapered to where the green line shows.....Follow the green line for the taper of the first shingle. Please call if I can further clarify that. I'm too illerate to explain things well.