Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-08-2011, 03:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Vent flashing sealant

After a water stain developed around the vent pipe from the water heater, I traced the leak to the roof. When I got up there I noticed that 20-25% of my vent pipe seals were cracked and the rest were going to have the same problem. I bought this house new about 15 yrs ago in the San Diego area. It doesn't freeze here, but it does get hot, so things may expand at different rates. There is lots of UV exposure.

What is the best product to re-seal the vent pipes to the flashing (metal to metal, and metal to ABS plastic)? I want something that will last awhile. I don't care if it is expensive - I don't need that much.
Attached Thumbnails
Vent flashing sealant-waterheatervent.jpg   Vent flashing sealant-heatervent01.jpg   Vent flashing sealant-bigcrack.jpg   Vent flashing sealant-roofvent02.jpg  

Last edited by stanky1; 10-08-2011 at 08:55 PM.
stanky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:03 PM   #2

Vent flashing sealant

Also, I scraped off the old asphalt emulsion today and would like a recommendation for a solvent that would get that last bit of stuff off before I re-seal it.

My view from the roof in the last photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Vent flashing sealant-cleanedup1.jpg   Vent flashing sealant-cleanedup2.jpg   Vent flashing sealant-cleanedup3.jpg   Vent flashing sealant-view.jpg  

Old 10-08-2011, 09:34 PM   #3
Shut in w/o Home

Rewards Points: 500

Vent flashing sealant

You're missing the storm collar.
seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:49 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

Vent flashing sealant

I live in central cal so summer/winter temps about the same. We just don't have those views. Anyway had the same problem last winter, what I used was some roofing sealant with elastomeric (for flexibility) and butyl backed foil tape for extra measure. It's worked fine so far for me.
thestig3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:51 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 25

Vent flashing sealant

As for the solvent wd40 on a shop rag and a wire brush usually works.
thestig3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 10:54 AM   #6
Shut in w/o Home

Rewards Points: 500

Vent flashing sealant

Don't seal the boot to the pipe. When the pipe warms it expands and needs to slide through the boot. Get a storm collar .

The storm collar gets caulked to the pipe. The pipe can then slide up and down as necessary through the boot if it needs to move from thermal expansion.
seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to seeyou For This Useful Post:
rossfingal (10-10-2011)
Old 10-11-2011, 11:56 PM   #7

Vent flashing sealant

Thanks for the suggestions. I was concerned that WD40 would leave a residue so I cleaned it up with gasoline soaked rags and then brake cleaner afterward. How's that for being anal?

For the water heater vent pipe I used Black Jack 1013 Neo-Seal to seal the pipe to the flashing because it is an elastomeric that will hopefully allow for thermal expansion. The tube claims that it remains "flexible and water tight up to 30 yrs." And I topped it off with a storm collar using more Neo-Seal.

The ABS vent pipes were also sealed up using Neo-Seal and I am ordering some Oatey No-Caulk rain collars to put over those bad boys. And, of course, I will caulk them anyway.

Happiness is a tight seal (x2)
Attached Thumbnails
Vent flashing sealant-gasrag2.jpg   Vent flashing sealant-gasrag1.jpg   Vent flashing sealant-stormcollar1.jpg   Vent flashing sealant-sealant1.jpg  

Last edited by stanky1; 10-12-2011 at 12:03 AM.