Valley With A Short Flashing - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-03-2011, 07:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Valley with a short flashing

Good evening,

Once it stops raining i will climb up on the ladder and take a photo. apologies for not already having this for you...

I purchased my first home this winter (jan 7th) and found myself having a overflowing gutters due to some ice build up in the gutters. Some salt and cold fingers took care of the situation. While up there i noticed i had some very minor exterior water damage. I chalked it to the rain/ice build up going on... Skip several months to this past weekend.

While doing some routine maintenance installing bird guards, i noticed that the same spot i mentioned above had turned green and closer inspection found that the flashing which is part of my roof/shingle valley was short... IE leads to bare wood.. It started raining and after it started down pouring i noticed water dripping from this spot below..

I'm no roofer and likely using the wrong terms, however a valley channeling water towards bare wood in my 9 months of home ownership seems bad and i want to fix it.

Q1. is this something i can do? I dont mind getting dirty and becoming educated prior to getting dirty. Do it once, do it right.

Q2. If i can do this myself do i just buy another piece of flashing from a box store and add it underneath?

Q3. if i used the incorrect terms please be so kind to correct them.

thank you.

-Bob

Advertisement

Last edited by rjwrightohio; 10-03-2011 at 07:43 PM. Reason: lack of name in my post.
rjwrightohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:11 AM   #2
Residential Roofer

Rewards Points: 500

With out a visual it's hard to say for sure.

My first thought is the valley metal stops short and your seeing the top of facia board, but it is common practice to have drip edge there so you should be seeing a different type of metal rather then wood.

A picture or two will help a lot.

Advertisement

Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 05:15 PM   #3

Appreciate the reply Sly...

img_3897.jpg - Area in question / backdrop of issue
img_3898.jpg - Zoom of the problem area, showing green wood.
img_3902.jpg - same area as 3898 but shot from below showing what i believe is path of water not properly going into the gutter.
Attached Images

Old 10-04-2011, 07:38 PM   #4
MJW

Gutter flashing is what you need. Kind of a hacked up little roof there. Maybe you could redo the whole roof and add gutter flashing and roof edge. That way you could put in the ice and water shield correctly and won't have any more problems, even in the winter.
MJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:49 PM   #5

Tomorrow i will take a new photo of the entire roof to get a good scale for you folks. As i am curious what sort of job i just signed myself up to. Don't get me wrong im not anti-contractor however this is my outlet from my daily geek/computer filled life.

Do you notice something else wrong outside of what i saw with the mold? it surprised me when you mention to redo it all. I'm more of a perfectionist so i dont like that line of shingles not being straight... Maybe theres a better adjective .. I found another spot which is way worst on the opposite side of the home and it appears that someone has attempted several "fixes".. Will post those while im out there tomorrow.

Thank you for taking time out of your day to contribute.

Last edited by rjwrightohio; 10-04-2011 at 07:50 PM. Reason: grammer
Old 10-05-2011, 07:13 AM   #6
Residential Roofer

I'm not sure it's an entire replacement or not by those few pictures but there's for sure some serious issues with the valley & eaves.

In our area of Ohio gutter apron is seldom used, but drip edge on atleast the eaves is very common practice.

I don't like the fact there's a lap in the valley metal toward the eave, it should have had a full piece at the eave end and any laps higher up toward the ridges.
There also should not be any shingles ran under the metal, like in the one picture showing the "roofer" placed a starter strip underneath.
The metal should set snuggle and neatly on top of the drip edge (which should be covered with ice guard or at least felt, then all shingles ran on top and cut 2" too 3" off center on either side.
Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:05 PM   #7
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,254

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyfox View Post
I'm not sure it's an entire replacement or not by those few pictures but there's for sure some serious issues with the valley & eaves.

In our area of Ohio gutter apron is seldom used, but drip edge on atleast the eaves is very common practice.

I don't like the fact there's a lap in the valley metal toward the eave, it should have had a full piece at the eave end and any laps higher up toward the ridges.
There also should not be any shingles ran under the metal, like in the one picture showing the "roofer" placed a starter strip underneath.
The metal should set snuggle and neatly on top of the drip edge (which should be covered with ice guard or at least felt, then all shingles ran on top and cut 2" too 3" off center on either side.
+1

That could have been done with one section of valley as well on a 10' brake. Sloppy work.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:18 PM   #8

Same roof just on the exact opposite side, again the valley... Immediately i see issues with the angle, i mean heck its holding water.. It might not come across however the downspout is actually higher than the rest of the gutter... And the flashing looks like a hack job..

Anyways, what i need to resolve is again this water issue... Very curious on your thoughts, at least the one side you can see they used a drip edge...

I asked this earlier but do you gentlemen think this is outside the capabilities of a DIYer?
Attached Images

Advertisement