Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-28-2011, 09:28 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Using I&W with nail holes in it

I had a roofing company come yesterday to replace the roof over my porch which has a very shallow pitch. The porch roof runs over the garage so they were tying in new roof with old. The roof was originally installed without I&W and we had a number of leaks over the porch. The main roof is quite steep and dumps down onto the porch roof. The thinking is that the water coming off of the steep roof hit the shallow roof and went sideways under the shingles.
They put I&W over the entire porch area and about 24" up the steep area.
My question's are:
1. Can you put I&W over damp plywood?
2. They ran the first row along the gutter going back towards the steep area but when they finished, the starting point along about 25 feet was about 3/4" different in its start point. When I spoke to the foreman he had the crew loosen the starter row and the first row of shingles and pull them down to be straight with the others. They then replaced the row of shingles with new and nailed them down. You can also look down the row and see the setback of the shingles above the tab slots. Doesn't look good but I guess it will work.
My question is: after pulling about 100 nails out between the starter row and the first row of shingles has the I&W been compromised?

Last edited by windsor02; 07-28-2011 at 09:30 AM.
windsor02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 05:38 PM   #2
RFN-4A-LVN

Rewards Points: 500

I would not even consider installing Moisture Guard over damp plywood.Also I would definately not install new shingles over damp plywood either.

Typically the holes in the Moisture Guard will close back up.Once the roof heats up so does the Moisture Guard.When the new nails are installed the Moisture Guard closes around the nail.

For your manufacture warranty to be valid the roof has to be installed to spec.Meaning proper alignment of the shingles.That falls under the installation requirements.

Could you post some pix of the areas you are concerned about?

Last edited by Roofmaster417; 08-04-2011 at 05:40 PM.
Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:20 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roofmaster417 View Post
I would not even consider installing Moisture Guard over damp plywood.Also I would definately not install new shingles over damp plywood either.

Typically the holes in the Moisture Guard will close back up.Once the roof heats up so does the Moisture Guard.When the new nails are installed the Moisture Guard closes around the nail.

For your manufacture warranty to be valid the roof has to be installed to spec.Meaning proper alignment of the shingles.That falls under the installation requirements.

Could you post some pix of the areas you are concerned about?
Roofmaster:
Thank you for your reply.

The company came back and pulled out about 5 rows from the gutter up and put new I&W, starter shingles and new roof shingles in as well. The alignment looks good after removing the 5 rows to correct the previous gap. We are using CertainTeed Presidential Series and hope to get the rest of the life advertised. The wood had about an hour to dry before they started and was only slightly damp to the touch. Because the job is done I have no pictures.
If you like, I can take a couple of pictures of the finished repair.

Last edited by windsor02; 08-04-2011 at 07:24 PM.
windsor02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:24 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

sounds like you have someone standing behind their work, nice to hear