Up In Smoke - Chimney Troubles - Pics Here - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-11-2010, 02:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Up In Smoke - Chimney Troubles - pics here

Hi all,

I have traveled here before... but first time posting. The other day I went in my yard and noticed some bricks on my roof! I quickly realized they came from my chimney. I own a small ranch style home, built in 1972. I have owned it for 3 years, and this is the first time I noticed the issue on the chimney. Not sure why this happened, seems the mortar gave out around the top.. and not sure what to do with the big open crack area. Was thinking laying some lathe across the top and mortar/concrete over... but I want to make sure I use the right mortar/cement/etc. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

BW_AustinTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 02:31 PM   #2

Oh.. forgot to add that the chimney is very solid, except the portion in the photos. It is not wobbly or moves.

Advertisement

Old 03-11-2010, 03:10 PM   #3
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

My first question is, do you have all the pieces? I'd attempt a repair of the existing first, then add another layer over it. This will help keep the original shape and make the actual repair easier. I'd then trade that screen for a cap/screen combo to keep rain out.

DM
Old 03-11-2010, 03:21 PM   #4

Hi DM,

Yes.. I think I have most of the pieces except one.
Several months back my GF came into the house and said,
"I found concrete in the yard." I did not put two and two together yet,
thought my dogs dug something up.

Last edited by BW_AustinTX; 03-11-2010 at 03:30 PM.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:24 PM   #5
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Looks like tearing off the broken section and mesh/repair it then is your next step?

DM
Old 03-11-2010, 06:19 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

i would remove all that old cap it's just going to keep sucking water and falling apart. finish filling the space around the flue with block/rubble and mortar. then make a new sloped cap/wash out of a cement mortar mix that comes out over the top course of brick, about 1-1/2" thick at that point. you can make a small form out of 2x4 screwed together and slope uphill back to the flue about a 1" rise. make the slab around 4-6" thick out of cement 3 parts with mortar 1 part either trowel smooth or brush finish
also something settled because they poured that wash on top of something to start with and is that a scratch or a crack on the flue?

Last edited by tpolk; 03-11-2010 at 06:22 PM.
tpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:02 PM   #7
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,290

That top section of terracotta flue looks like it needs replacing also.

TPOLKS method sounds good to me--However I have not much experience with brick work.

The flue should be available at most brick yards--Time to make a few calls--Look down the chimney with a bright light on an extension cord--Lower the bulb all the way down the flue. Look for other signs of the flue cracking.

Liners can be installed into a flawed stack.--Mike--

Advertisement

oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote