Underlayment For Metal Roof - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-22-2012, 09:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Underlayment for metal roof

Hi we have a doublewide with a 3/12 pitch, going to put a metal roof on, exposed fasteners, tearing off old roofing. I'm taking off the top row of sheeting on both sides of the peak, and even though it does have shuts in the eves I'm running some 8 foot long cardboard ones down to them and blowing in insulation. I would like to know what you think about this, putting a row of ice and water down on the eaves, and in the valley, then covering the rest with synthetic, then single bubble refelective foil, with 1x3s then metal. Just wondered if this sounds alright, my first metal roof.

Advertisement

Kpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:09 PM   #2
Doing This Way Too Long

Rewards Points: 524

Bah, too many components. That bubble wrap will get you nothing unless you plan on shipping it somewhere.

Just do solid ice/water on the whole damn thing. Especially since it's rolled rib, you are going to need the self-sealing properties when all your fasteners start to leak.

Make sure you use an HT (high temp) ice/water that says it is suitable for metal and tile.

Just re-read it. Please tell me you aren't putting it on batts. In the real world, your 29ga "roofing" has a span rating of 0"

Advertisement

Last edited by OldNBroken; 06-22-2012 at 09:13 PM.
OldNBroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:41 PM   #3

I know what you mean about the screw fasteners, dosen't make sense to put all those holes in your roof, but there's no way I can afford standing seam, the price on that is just way out of line compared to the other steel roof. I
Heard the foil wrap had refelects 97 percent of the suns heat. People around here-- Michigan--- are using it now
Old 06-23-2012, 02:50 AM   #4
Doing This Way Too Long

Rewards Points: 524

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpaul View Post
I Heard the foil wrap had refelects 97 percent of the suns heat. People around here-- Michigan--- are using it now
Only people I've heard that from are the mfrs of the products. There may be independent studies out there but I have not seen any. Maybe someone else here knows of some.

Eliminate some of those extras and your budget could allow for a hidden-fastener system.
OldNBroken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OldNBroken For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (07-07-2012), Windows on Wash (06-24-2012)
Old 06-24-2012, 09:57 AM   #5

Anybody else with experience with the foil?
Old 06-24-2012, 12:31 PM   #6
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,306

Only works with an airspace so you need a gap to make it work.

Radiant barriers are proven but largely relegated to the Southern 1/4 of the US.

You would be better suited to put some rigid foam on the roof as that would work in both the summer and the winter if you have an insulated roof deck (Which I suspect with they type of construction that is prevalent in your home).
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Windows on Wash For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (07-06-2012)
Old 07-06-2012, 05:38 PM   #7

I'm not sure the physics work on a radiant barrier under a metal roof...metal roofs already have their own inherent emissivity (the basic property that makes the foil work) but if you can handle the aestetics, a reflective white coating on top of the roof (factory installed or put on by you) will make a big difference in summer months.

All reflective or radiant solutions offer reduced payback as you go further north, for various reasons.

I like Old N' Broken's suggestion of covering the whole roof with Ice and Water Barrier - basically a second layer of waterpoof protection, that is self gasketing. Make sure you use a "High Temp" or "Tile and Metal" Grade Ice and Water Barrier.
Chris Brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:22 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,030

I have installed lots of the Metal roofing you are talking about. Mostly on farm building and a few houses.
I find that screws will back out, Valley's are impossible to seal properly, and chimneys and vent stacks can be problematic.
Not in favour of it for a house.
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mae-ling For This Useful Post:
OldNBroken (07-06-2012)
Old 07-07-2012, 09:42 AM   #9
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Brink View Post
I'm not sure the physics work on a radiant barrier under a metal roof...metal roofs already have their own inherent emissivity (the basic property that makes the foil work) but if you can handle the aestetics, a reflective white coating on top of the roof (factory installed or put on by you) will make a big difference in summer months.
The Solar Reflectance and Thermal Emittance ratings on most metal roofs do certainly mitigate the impact of a radiant barrier, however, if a customer wants a darker roof to match their aesthetic requirements, a well placed radiant barrier does have energy efficiency value.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:04 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,000

better off with a high quality shingle then use barn siding on your roof

Advertisement

Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote