Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-21-2009, 06:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Underlayment material

Some one is re-roofing my neighbor's house. First they lay a 3' rubbery film around the lower area of the roof. This is quite common in my area to prevent ice dam damage. Then they cover the rest of the entire plywood deck with plastics. It is quite thick and has big letters "Titanium" printed on it. I wonder what is the purpose of this underlay. Has any one here ever used it?

violin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 06:56 PM   #2
Residential Remodeler

Underlayment material

You can check it out here:

http://www.interwrap.com/TITANIUM/Index.html

I have not used that particular brand, but something similar by Grace. It is a new alternative to 30 lb tar/felt/roofing paper. Can be exposed to elements longer, not as slippery to walk on, some of them help seal nail penetrations.

CookeCarpentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:08 PM   #3

Underlayment material

I use it quite often.It is a very good product,especially if rain is in the forecast.It can last for months in the elements.Very helpful for builders that want to dry a house in and have to wait for a roofer.The only benefits I can see are the weight of the rolls.1 roll can do a 1000 sq ft and weighs less than 1 roll of your typical roofing felt.Oh yeah ,it doesn't wrinkle in the rain like felt.It probably doesn't break down like felt,but who knows,I haven't seen it more than a few months old...
johnk is offline   Reply With Quote