DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Underlayment or Ice & Water Shield

4K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  OldNBroken 
#1 ·
Im getting my roofing shingles replaced and my roofer suggests getting this Grace Tri-Flex 30 underlayment product through out my roof instead of "Ice & water Shield for the 1st 6 feet around the parameter and felt paper for the remainder of the roof".

Has anyone heard or used this Tri-flex 30 product ?

#2 ·
It's another of the growing brands of synthetics out there. Your contractor is not trying to sell you a bill of goods if that's what you are worried about. Many of us are getting to really like them for a variety of reasons.

You still need ice/water properly applied at eaves and valleys, triflex is a substitute for the felt, not the ice/water.

My only concern with all the syns coming out is their breatheability. So far of all I have researched, deckarmor is the only one that has taken that into consideration.

The condensation and trapped moisture I have found underneath a few of them really really has me concerned about long term effects of some of these. guess we'll find out in the coming years as they become more popular.

Mind you, TriFlex is NOT one I have checked into so I can't say anything specific on it and Grace is always a very good name in underlayments.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.