Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-07-2010, 08:20 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Underlayment

Can the old underlayment be left on the roof and use with the new shingles or should a new underlayment be used?

jerry1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 09:19 AM   #2
Shut in w/o Home

Rewards Points: 500

Underlayment

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry1967 View Post
Can the old underlayment be left on the roof and use with the new shingles or should a new underlayment be used?
It can be left and re-used. Probably not the best option and there are very few cases where I would do it, but it can be done. But, how much will it actually save you?

Last edited by seeyou; 06-07-2010 at 09:19 AM. Reason: spelling
seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 09:41 AM   #3
MJW

Underlayment

Should be replaced, but in reality......if you are using your underlayment to keep the elements out, you're not a very good roofer. The shingles, flashing, valleys, etc. keep the water out.
MJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 01:02 PM   #4
Next Time...New Build

Rewards Points: 150

Underlayment

You would have to be one tear off extraordinair to keep the old underlayment intact after pulling the top layer of shingles off.

I have reused the existing step flashings before but never the underlayment. Like Seeyou said, the cost savings are minimal considering the time and effort it would take to save the original stuff during the tear off.

Not to mention that older felt can be extremely unstable for walking.
RickyBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 01:12 PM   #5
MJW

Underlayment

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyBobby View Post
You would have to be one tear off extraordinair to keep the old underlayment intact after pulling the top layer of shingles off.
We do almost every job leaving the felt in tact (hundreds of houses). It works great after pulling the nails. Just roll up the felt with all the pulled nails inside. That is, providing the last roofer used a decent brand of felt.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:32 PM   #6
Next Time...New Build

Rewards Points: 150

Underlayment

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJW View Post
We do almost every job leaving the felt in tact (hundreds of houses).
I am thoroughly impressed. Two things with this:

1) Isn't it just easier to strip to the sheathing? Tear offs aren't much fun to begin with let alone attempting to save the felt. I've worked with a number of guys that would have looked at me crosseyed had I told them to save the existing felt.

2) Does existing age of the old roof play into your decision?

Still impressed though.
RickyBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 03:39 PM   #7
MJW

Underlayment

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyBobby View Post
I am thoroughly impressed. Two things with this:

1) Isn't it just easier to strip to the sheathing? Tear offs aren't much fun to begin with let alone attempting to save the felt. I've worked with a number of guys that would have looked at me crosseyed had I told them to save the existing felt.

2) Does existing age of the old roof play into your decision?

Still impressed though.
1. usually not. We take the shingles off roughly the same way they are put on, just depends on the pattern the previous roofer used. We've done it this way for over 15 years and hardly drop anything to the ground. Seen a few other crews do it this way also lately.

2. The age/shape of the existing roof makes all the difference. If it's too old and brittle, the shingles make a mess. The felt though, if it's a decent product won't be as brittle. Every job is different as to how we tackle the tear off, but most are in decent shape. Very few of our jobs are because the shingles are actually worn out. Usually it's poor workmanship from previous roofers that have multiple leaks, or it's storm work. 75%+ of the homes in our area have newer roofs because of storm damage. Therefore we must have another storm in order to have any work. Very few pay out of their own pocket for roofs or siding anymore.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:11 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 10

Underlayment

We also leave the felt on certain Jobs.I have done it for years,But we also install new felt over the old.Never use the old felt as a primary underlayment .If you have wind damage then all the old holes from the shingles will be exposed.

Ron Smith Const is offline   Reply With Quote