Underlay - Right Decision Because $$? Protecto Roofgard Vs Deck Armor Weather Watch - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-16-2012, 07:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Underlay - Right decision because $$? protecto roofgard vs deck armor weather watch

Hello, a couple questions for you all regarding my roof underlay.

Question 1: Should I save 200 bucks by going option A? (or put another way, are the GAF products worth the extra money?)

Option A
$240
ProTecto Standard Ice and Water
Roofgard - Cool Grey

Option B
$460
Deck Armor
WeatherWatch 2.0

Question 2: I would prefer not to overlap the 3 feet of ice and water shield with the roofdeck underlay ...do I have to?
I ask because the size of my roof is just on the cusp where if I didn't overlap, I wouldn't have to buy another roll of syn underlay.

Much Thanks, Shawn

Advertisement

Geeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:40 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

Underlay - Right decision because $$? protecto roofgard vs deck armor weather watch

How do you only save $200 by not using GAF Deck Armor?

My cost is about $220 for one roll and I get good prices.

Advertisement

ParagonEx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:51 PM   #3
Pro Slate Roofer

Rewards Points: 1,038

Why all the concern about the underlay? The roof is what counts. Water gets past the roof and no underlay will keep it out of the house. What are we missing here?
tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:15 PM   #4
Doing This Way Too Long

Rewards Points: 524

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinner666 View Post
Why all the concern about the underlay? The roof is what counts. Water gets past the roof and no underlay will keep it out of the house. What are we missing here?
Because, Frank, it appears nowadays everyone expects their roofs to leak and are depending on the underlayment to stop it. Times are a-changin' I guess.
OldNBroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:39 AM   #5

Reply to ParagonEx

GAF WeatherWatch 2.0 ($78/roll, 2 rolls for 120 foot) $156.00
GAF Deck Armor 4 Square Roll($97.50/roll, 3 rolls for 1200 square feet coverage) $292.50

ProTecto Ice & Water ($53/roll, 2 rools for 120 foot) $106
RoofGard-Cool Grey ($134.roll, 1 roll for 1000 sq. ft coverage) $134

Also, I'm in Canada.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:54 AM   #6

In Reply to Tinner666

"Why all the concern with underlay? ? The roof is what counts. Water gets past the roof and no underlay will keep it out of the house. "

Let's just assume by my post that I have decided I'm using underlay. Let's also assume that I decided I didn't want felt. Otherwise, I probably would have put felt up there as an option right? Let's also assume that I have narrowed it down to two options (A & B from above). Oh wait, we don't have to assume any of that cause I spelled it out in my original post by posting my exact dilemma and asked for comments on it. What am I supposed to take from your reply, that with you extensive knowledge of my roof, the pitch, the roof deck itself, the venting... - that you recommend no underlay at all?

"What are we missing here?"

1.That you are on a forum where you might get people who are new to roofing who are genuinely doing their best and looking for solid advice.
2. Chiming in with sarcastic know-it-all comments really doesn't help anything, although i bet it makes you feel superior for a moment or two.
3. That you are a condescending arsehole.

You need to grow up.

Last edited by Geeze; 05-17-2012 at 01:20 AM.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:00 AM   #7

In reply to OldNBroken

"Because, Frank, it appears nowadays everyone expects their roofs to leak and are depending on the underlayment to stop it. Times are a-changin' I guess."

What? Are you the Laurel to his Hardy? Why don't you and Frank get a private thread where you can reminisce about the days when you could drink a six pack with a smoke hanging out your mouth while installing asbestos insulate after coating walls in lead paint.

Last edited by Geeze; 05-17-2012 at 01:27 AM.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:03 AM   #8
Pro Slate Roofer

Rewards Points: 1,038

You're right Geez. Sorry I asked for clarification. I'll leave it to the experts.
tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tinner666 For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (05-17-2012)
Old 05-17-2012, 07:07 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeze View Post
In Reply to Tinner666

"Why all the concern with underlay? ? The roof is what counts. Water gets past the roof and no underlay will keep it out of the house. "

Let's just assume by my post that I have decided I'm using underlay. Let's also assume that I decided I didn't want felt. Otherwise, I probably would have put felt up there as an option right? Let's also assume that I have narrowed it down to two options (A & B from above). Oh wait, we don't have to assume any of that cause I spelled it out in my original post by posting my exact dilemma and asked for comments on it. What am I supposed to take from your reply, that with you extensive knowledge of my roof, the pitch, the roof deck itself, the venting... - that you recommend no underlay at all?

"What are we missing here?"

1.That you are on a forum where you might get people who are new to roofing who are genuinely doing their best and looking for solid advice.
2. Chiming in with sarcastic know-it-all comments really doesn't help anything, although i bet it makes you feel superior for a moment or two.
3. That you are a condescending arsehole.

You need to grow up.
Wow! You are name calling and you are telling Tinner to grow up
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:08 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeze View Post
In reply to OldNBroken

"Because, Frank, it appears nowadays everyone expects their roofs to leak and are depending on the underlayment to stop it. Times are a-changin' I guess."

What? Are you the Laurel to his Hardy? Why don't you and Frank get a private thread where you can reminisce about the days when you could drink a six pack with a smoke hanging out your mouth while installing asbestos insulate after coating walls in lead paint.
You know ...life doesn't have to be as hard as you're making it..
You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:42 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 150

I was unaware that Deck Armor came in anything less than a 10 square roll.
ParagonEx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:48 AM   #12
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,524

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinner666 View Post
You're right Geez. Sorry I asked for clarification. I'll leave it to the experts.
This place can be quite entertaining at times.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:58 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 524

Wow
I did not even get time to get my popcorn popped for this one.
danpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:23 AM   #14
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,254

I too prefer synthetics but the roof layer (as said by Tinner) is the primary barrier and a great underlayment did a good roof not make.

I am not a huge fan of Deck Armor as I think the whole breathable aspect is BS. There are much cheaper synthetics out there if you really want to go that route. Ventilation is always at the envelope layer and a breathable underlayment serves no purpose and can actually be a detraction.

BTW...Tinner and was not being sarcastic and both he and OldNBroken have been helping people on these forums for longer than I can remember. You clearly misunderstood their responses (OldNBroken's was a light hearted joke for Tinner).

You won't find a collection of more skilled and helpful people than Tinner, OldNBroken, and Paragon.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Windows on Wash For This Useful Post:
seeyou (05-19-2012), Tom Struble (05-17-2012)
Old 05-17-2012, 08:38 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 83

You need the GAF stuff. I mean, it's the most expensive so it has to be better, right?

Q for ya Geeze, do you know why manufacturers want underlay installed?

Advertisement

bcdemon is offline   Reply With Quote